News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The meaning of Big R "Rules"

Started by Mike Holmes, July 27, 2004, 03:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

Okay, given that you've accepted those two statements, then consider this...

Being beaten to a pulp, as a player, is going to have a strong effect on what the subject's character does.  Either he's not going to be able to play at all, or if he is, his character is going to be unusually quiet.

So at least in this case, both rules have at least a potential impact on the in-game events.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Mike Holmes

The way the wind blows in the real world may also may have an effect on what happens in the game. If it's not intended to have an effect, its not part of system. In the case of the person who messes with characters of players who mess with their GF, there's obvious intent there.

System is what players do to influence the game events. Not how they might do so inadvertently. Yes, this means that system is not the only thing that causes in-game events to occur as they do. But it's what the players are attempting to employ. Note how mistakes aren't intended, but are a very common problem in RPGs.

"Wait, you mean that he's carrying stakes as in sharp wooden thingies, and not steaks as in meat? Whoa, I've got to adjust my mental picture of what my character is seeing now."

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Vaxalon

Oh, I'll admit that intent is very important to that determination... but as any lawyer can tell you, intent can be VERY difficult to divine.  My point is that there's a grey area.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Mike Holmes

Sure, but definitionally it's not a problem.

Does that mean that sometimes that we'll have problems determining what's System, and what's an Act of God? Sure. But I don't think that there's any way around that.

(Be careful, BTW, MJ has a fancy law degree...) :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.