News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Anything goes? Blah!

Started by Tomas HVM, August 06, 2004, 08:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomas HVM

Frankly, I do not understand gamesmiths who encourage the players to do whatever they want with their game.

In my expereience gamers need no encouragment to do this. They will do it as soon as they discover the game design to be lacking, or as soon as they tire of your game.

My idea is always to create a game which brings you somewhere. I try to encourage my players to go there. The various elements of the game, both the setting and the method, is created to help them in the right direction.

If the players want to play another game, they are free to find another game and do it. It's not like any roleplaying game is the only game in the world :-)

I'd rather see gamesmiths who try to make the best out of their particular idea(s), selling it for all it is worth in their design, and using all their creative energy to better the design.
Tomas HVM
writer, storyteller, games designer
www.fabula.no

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I think you'll find that to be a widespread outlook at the Forge, Tomas.

Best,
Ron

DevP

Agreed. I think this is part of that Kitchen-Sinking - put away thoughts of just providing a "do anything" world so you can create one which will fundamentally matter to the players.