News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dramatic Drama II (split)

Started by Jonathan Walton, August 09, 2004, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Walton

Quote from: Emily CareFrom my experiences in this game, I think it would probably be easier to integrate someone else into the negotiation of events than one might think: it's actually pretty natural to script free-form.

Total agreement here, though I think it would be harder for a veteran of traditional roleplaying to walk into this kind of game than it would for a total newbie.  I find newbies grok "everybody-GMs-resolve-through-negotiation" systems better than anybody.  I also think the backstory issue is a red herring.  You just give the newcomer new or background characters (with no solidly established personality traits) and then retcon their own input into the game, negotiating it in and trying to balance the goals of maintaining continuity and allowing them input and ownership.

Ron Edwards

The above post was split from Adventures in dramatic drama.

Jonathan, I dunno how you managed to resurrect an older thread, but check th'dates, please. Saves me stress.

Best,
Ron

Jonathan Walton

Dammit!  Sorry Ron!  I don't know what the hell I was thinking.  I followed Emily's link to an old thread and thought I was participating in a current discussion for some reason.  Feel free to ignore this completely.

APRIL 7th!  Not August 7th!  Stupid "A" months...

Emily Care

Thanks, Ron. Sorry to mislead you, jw.  It's an interesting point, nonetheless. It's one Ron has made, I believe, with respect to narrativism.  Folks who've been in the rpg loop often have habits of thought that can get in the way of feeling empowered to co-narrate.  While relative newcomers don't have to be convinced that they can do more than narrate their character's actions.

yrs,
Emily
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games