News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What system would you suggest?

Started by Vaxalon, July 25, 2004, 11:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

One narrative-focused GM (my wife) is in search of a good system to use with the "Garrett" novel series by Glen Cook.  It's one all of the players will have read.

If you're familiar with the series, let me know what system you think would be a good one, and why.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Kesher

Howdy, Vax.

I've actually been working on a system that's about two weeks out from a rough playtest draft.  It's called Literati, & it's specifically designed as a Narrativist-oriented system to be used with the setting of ANY book.  I mean that seriously, too; some of the examples in the text come from Steinbeck's The Pearl, Wharton's Ethan Frome & Golding's Lord of the Flies.  

The whole idea, from a Nar perspective, is that in any given novel, the Premise is built into the Setting itself, & in fact the Setting functions as an active force, even when decisions seem to be coming from inside characters themselves.  Conflict resolution's structured around standard Lit Theory Man vs. Man, Man vs. Self, & so on, with mechanics built in to allow for internal decision struggles, etc.

Anyhow, my point is, it's built to be a system to used by a group who are all familiar with the book(s) in question, so it might be just what your wife is looking for.  If so, lemme know.  I'll be posting it over in Indie Design in a couple of weeks, but I'd be happy to  send you a copy as soon as I finish hacking it out (because, of course, I'd love playtesters, too!)

Vaxalon

I'd be happy to take a look, hand it to the wife, and if she decides she likes it, tell you how it goes.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker