News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Odd request

Started by joe_llama, January 17, 2002, 12:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_llama

Hello again,

This is kind of an odd request from a person whose in an awkward situation. I didn't know where else to post this but I figured that here it would draw the necessery attention.

I live in a place where access to commercial RPG material is, well, somwhat difficult. All imports suffer heavy taxes, and even if they don't then shops will overcharge you because they know you can't get it anywhere else. In addition, if I want to place an international order the P&H will probably equal the price I got from the store - again, I get daylight-robbery prices. Let's just say the nearest RPG shop is at least a thousand miles from my home (I am not kidding).

So, my question is:

Can you provide a list of names and links to either free Narrative-oriented games on the net or commercial 'Nar' RPG's that use some kind of cheaper mail service with their orders?    

I'm really interested in the Narrative aspect of RPG's but I'm afraid I have very little knowledge on where to find such games. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Llama

Ron Edwards

Hi Nadav,

Have you browsed the library of games linked from the Forge? If you haven't, it covers a wide range of games and approaches, and many of them are free. I especially recommend the websites of Jared Sorensen, Paul Czege, and Zak Arntson for the most ... well, outre material.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

I especially recommend the websites of Jared Sorensen, Paul Czege, and Zak Arntson for the most ... well, outre material.

Ah...I have one game, exactly 847 words, of outre RPG material on my site. It's linked from the old user-submitted game library, but since I have yet to add it to the new library, The World, the Flesh, and the Devil is http://www.123.net/~czege/WFD.html">here.

Amazing the infamy you can get for only 847 words, eh?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

greyorm

Yeah, but that's a cool 847 words.

-Raven
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Zak Arntson

Thanks for the plug, Ron!

I'm not sure if any of my games are outright Narrativist. Bizarrely, Sitcom might be the most create-a-story-during-play game, with it's strict rules on causing problems.

I designed Courts & Corsets with Narrativism in mind, but it's fairly competitive. I would say it's a little confused between Gamist and Narrativist (being only the 2nd or 3rd game I designed for Harlekin-Maus).

My lack of Narrativist games is something I'm trying to justify. I figure by learning more about that end of the GNS, I'll become a better designer. You can check out my half-finished games at http://www.livejournal.com/~zaka">www.livejournal.com/~zaka.

joe_llama

Thank you for you replies. The problem is, the list of RPG links in the Forge library doesn't tell me what game is Nar and what isn't. It would take a lot of time to scan all these wonderful games.

I was hoping you could shorten my search time by providing me with a few names that are Nar for sure.

Thanks again,

Joe Llama

Paul Czege

Hey Nadav,

http://www.123.net/~czege/WFD.html">The World, the Flesh, and the Devil was designed to be Narrativist, but since it hasn't been playtested, I guess it's still up in the air how well it achieves that objective.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans