News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Organizational software

Started by WolfJack, August 19, 2004, 05:03:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WolfJack

Some friends and I are starting to work on a game design.  New for me, but enjoyable.

Question I have for the masses:
What software, preferably web based software, do you all use and/or recommend for this type of collaberative work.

We would prefer something that can have one account with write, or full access, and others that have read access.

Any suggestions or advice??

-Wolf[/list]

Jasper

Hello and welcome,

If nothing else, providing everyone has a copy already, you could simply send Word files back and forth.  At least in more recent versions, it will keep track of changes with accompanying notes, until each change is accepted.  I don't think it has any specific features for multiple people to ratify a change, but I'm sure you could work out a tenable system.

However, I'd really recommend wiki.  In general, wiki allows form-based management of web pages, and offers various levels of participation and control.  Here's a site, done in wiki of course, which describes some of wiki's benefits:

Why Wiki Works

I bet Clinton will pipe in about wiki too, since he used to use it on his anvilwerks page (but doesn't appear to any more).
Jasper McChesney
Primeval Games Press

Trevis Martin

Hi,

The third Universalis Arena is being conducted on my site which is a wiki using the TWiki wiki engine.  YOu can noodle around that site for a bit to see how that's going.  Uni is a very collaborative game.

Trevis

DP

And, of course, here and elsewhere people have praised Mayetic Village, which we're using for In the Shadows of Stars.
Dave Panchyk
Mandrake Games