News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Open Licenses and Indie Games

Started by Tav_Behemoth, August 23, 2004, 09:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tav_Behemoth

Didn't see your post sooner, Ron, probably because you submitted it while I was still drafting a previous reply. Without further ado:

Quote from: Ron Edwards
You're focusing on icons - the minotaur, the stirge, the otyugh* - whereas I tend to focus on procedures, such as narration-allocation, reward systems, and so on. But the point is the same.

Look for some more procedures (rendered, of course, in twenty-sided-dice-system derived mechanics) in Horde Books to come! I've been thinking that a variant of Mr. Mazza's Robots and Rapiers system for deciding whether player or GM is in control of a character would do wonders for the predicament of someone who's been turned into an animated stone construct by a master medusa's gaze, while a prescient variant of the augury spell might slip some narrative-allocation in under the old-school radar. I will, of course, be asking permission to properly attribute these borrowed bits when the time comes -- attributing because I agree that it's the right thing to do, and asking permission because one cannot use another's trademarks or titles under the Open Gaming License without permission, even for the purpose of attribution.

Quote from: Ron Edwards* If you do not publish the otyugh book right away, I will cry. In fact, I humbly request permission to discuss any possible contributions I might make to the otyugh book. (a) I'm serious. (b) See what I mean about iconography?

Discuss at will (you might mean the xorn book, but we'll get around to that one soon enough, sooner if you cry).
Masters and Minions: "Immediate, concrete, gameable" - Ken Hite.
Get yours from the creators or finer retail stores everywhere.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Now that's a great set of news, Tav. As much as I like the minotaur book, I was a little disappointed that it didn't have some weird new branch of maze magic in it, or perhaps a novel method of making especially aggravating dungeon mazes ...

Anyway, that's all off-topic. We were talking about licenses. If I'm not mistaken, this particular thread has done its job, right? I think it might be time to call it done, if no one has further immediate questions about open licenses.

Best,
Ron

P.S. It's the xorn. I had my monsters mixed up. We'll talk xorn privately.