News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Post Gen Con Indie RPG Booth Effect

Started by Judd, August 24, 2004, 03:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

I came to the con with two buddies, Jeff and JJ.  Both have traveled the familiar: D&D-Rifts-White Wolf gaming highwayand have been looking for something that works for them.  They had both played Sorcerer and JJ knew the Riddle of Steel fairly well.

This was their first con.

But seeing the Forge booth really had an effect, particularly on JJ.

Already JJ is ready to rock the LARP he  is on the plot comittee for.  He is filled with piss and vinegar and is ready to attack the game's dysfunction head on.  

He gave Prime Time Adventures to a non-gaming lady-friend who studies TV Production in college.  She read it in one night and is intrigued by the idea of gaming now.

Jeff is ready to incorporate Luke's Social Combat rules into his weekly tabletop games.

I'm making up Dogs in the Vineyards characters with friends to play this Thursday.

Nearly every cent we spent was at the Indie RPG booth

We're back and we ain't the same.  

Rock and Roll.

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

These are the guys who played Sorcerer and Elfs with me, right? They were great role-players and thoughtful, nice people.

Plus meetin' you was excellent too, especially hanging out for a bit just before my panel started.

Best,
Ron

Judd

Those were the guys, Ron.  Yeah, they are great gamers.  I am truly blessed with the sheer volume of wonderful people who are wonderful gamers in this town where I live.

Chatting with you before the seminar was great.  I was glad we got to chat away from the booth's furious activity for a bit.

Seeing the Indie RPG booth really had a profound effect on all of us.  Its a neat place and when you told someone outside the seminar that if they stopped by they would see something unlike anywhere else at Gen Con you weren't kidding.

thelostgm

Ron, it was a pleasure.  To go off of what Judd was saying I spent a great deal of time walking around the "floor."  No other people had the passion for their games like the Indie folks.

I participated in two Burning Wheel games that completely changed my mind about large groups of players at the gaming table.  The games were heavy with role-playing and in the first I watched a Dwarf and Elven Prince banter at one another.  The whole game was just wonderful.

Getting to play in a Sorcerer / Demon Cops game with Ron Edwards gave me an opportunity to really feel out the system.  I left the table with a better understanding of what the game was and its versatility.  The Demon Cop setting really won me over and I really hope that JJ (who bought it) and I get a chance to do something with it soon.

And of course making the trip with two good friends really made the whole ordeal an event I will never forget.

My real name is Jeff
Jeff
The Engineer of Kryos
www.sonsofkryos.com

Luke

Jeff, Judd!

I hope you know that, though you were inspired by us, we were equally inspired by you.

Such cool guys to design games for!

Thanks for your open minds and enthusiasm.

-L

Judd

Quote from: abzuJeff, Judd!

I hope you know that, though you were inspired by us, we were equally inspired by you.

Thanks for saying so, Luke.

Let's keep the symbiotic creativity river flowin'.

Now the Gen Con love-fest is over.  No more hugging.  Let's get to work.