News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

PTA to play Manga

Started by Andy Kitkowski, August 28, 2004, 11:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick, PTA has been the most *infectious* game of GenCon that I played.

We're watching Buffy season six now on DVD (never watched it on TV), and every episode I'm qualifying who the Star, Supporting and Minor charcaters are.

Well, on top of that, I've been rolling PTA in the back of my head while I've been reading some manga that I picked up this week. Blade of the Immortal (in the US), Fruits Basket (which is in the US now), Yuki-pon no Oshigoto (a comic not unlike "Moose in the City", about a housecat who is forced to work by his lazy and thoughtless college-aged owner girl), and RabuRoma (which you can view scanlations of at http://www.mangascreener.com/project.php?id=41 if you have BitTorrent- I highly recommend checking out these scans, as they're basically a serial love/comedy series of manga that shows what PTA could really emulate).

Anyway, I've come away thinking that PTA might be the best game to run manga as well... heck, even anime. And FANMAIL? P'shaw, works PERFECTLY in the manga/anime world.

Just change the word "Series" to "Story Arc", and you've got your Manga Emulation RPG.  It works perfectly, from samurai manga ala Blade of the Immortal to comedy manga like the above RabuRoma.

Anyway, thanks Matt for cooking up such a kick-ass game.  You've really laid some Kuhn-style paradigm shift smackdown on my ass.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.