News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Dogs] Spending Those Free Dice

Started by Ben Lehman, August 26, 2004, 11:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

I am ashamed.

I was a proof-reader for Dogs, and there's the rule that slipped through the cracks.  This giant *fuck-off* major rule.  And I missed it.  I'm sorry to all of you who by the book.  I'm sorry to you, Vincent, especially.  I'm so sorry.

So, uh, anyway...

The rule that's missing is when and how you spend the free relationship dice.  Can you spend them, you know, whenever, even during a conflict (I assume yes)?  Can you take a relationship that is filled in with flashback, or does it need to be right here right now?  If you can flashback, how about bringing in something totally new (say, giving yourself a demonic relationship and then summoning the demon to get mad phat sorcery powerz right then and there, wham, bam, thank you ma'am?)

Or maybe I just missed it somewhere.

yrs--
--Ben

lumpley

Here's what the book says:
QuoteTIMING NEW RELATIONSHIPS
If you have unassigned Relationship Dice, you can put a new Relationship on your character sheet at any time. Just name the relationship and assign dice to it.

If you assign a new Relationship during a conflict, and the Relationship is with either your opponent or what's at stake, roll the newly applicable dice right away.
Page 41.

Other than that, I never thought about flashbacks or mad sorcery skillz.  I'd say it's as always: say yes, roll dice, turn it back to the group, or ask for justification.  Flexible, even aggressive use of unassigned relationship dice is fine as long as it's cool with the players.

-Vincent

Joshua A.C. Newman

Yeah, I don't see how making up a relationship on the fly can hurt anything. It's getting you more invested in the story.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.