News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

9W Setting favorites?

Started by Matt Snyder, September 21, 2004, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

I spent a great deal of energy filling out the backhistory and setting material of Nine Worlds. I'm proud of those sections in the book, and I think there are a lot of ideas within that material that should help people "get" the game.

For example, the history of the universe section explains things and should be an entertaining read. But, what it really does is demonstrate to readers and PLAYERS the kinds of conflicts and themes they should incorporate into playing Nine Worlds.

I've sold well over 50 copies of Nine Worlds now, and I'm hoping a few you have had time to read through these chapters.

So, what are some of your favorite aspects of the setting? I think it'd be good to share, especially with people who may know a thing or two from the playtest document, but have no idea yet what the rich setting is like.

Any takers?

I've also (obviously) created a poll so you can pick the world you find most interesting for a session of actual play. Tell us why you like it so much!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

jporrett

Wow, that's a tough call.  I was torn between Sol and Luna.  I really like the "old world" feel of Sol.  I have a very concrete idea of how Sol looks.  Of course, having Horizon is also a bonus, giving players the underworld to explore

But I went with Luna.  I like the idea that Arcadia is the only city, the rest of the world being wilderness inhabited by mythic creatures.  I've always had a soft spot for satyrs, centaurs and nymphs.  The idea that Hecate is lurking around trying to ursurp Artemis is also very cool.

Other things in the settings that I dig: aetherships.  I love flying ships, and aetherships rock!

Pilgrim

Tough call. Sol and Mercury have the most appeal, with Venus not far behind. So, I chose Mercury because of my mercantile tendencies, plus I've always wanted to use the argosy campaign framework from an issue of Shadis, which would make a great reason to see the rest of the Solar system.

Multiple edits for clarity.
--
Bowden "Trey" Palmer | trey DOT palmer AT Golf Mike Alpha India Lima DOT Charlie Oscar Mike
Exos integro, sugiliato curatio, y femellas amo cicatrix.

Ron Edwards

No tough call at all. ANYTHING BUT TERRA.

I really am not interested in the modern "normal" human (in the game-world, the deluded humans) discovering that their world-view is a lie and that they live in a Jack Kirby myth-fantasy after all. That experience and basic set of conflicts holds no juice for me. So, let'em do whatever, over there on Earth.

I'm interested in the Archons who come from the in-game reality, period, and who already have a ton of Muses firing in that context. The setting is the source of relevant conflicts in Nine Worlds, so I don't wanna spend any time on the character merely figuring out what setting he or she is really in.

Visiting Earth and seeing what their illusory existence is like is kind of an entertaining idea, but I don't really see it as a central idea of play, for me.

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Ron EdwardsNo tough call at all. ANYTHING BUT TERRA.

Funny you should say that, Ron. You'll recall the original concept of the game was all Earth, the illusion and "awakening." I'm very thankful I moved away from that framework and to creating some more interesting things on other worlds.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra