News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Does Self-Loathing go up with a Horror Revealed?

Started by neelk, August 30, 2004, 02:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neelk

When a player does something that would push their PC's Self-Loathing above Love+Reason and they trigger a Horror Revealed, does the character's Self-Loathing go up, or is it capped at Love+Reason? So far, we've been playing that it does go up. Is this right?

-*-*-*-

Incidentally, I learned last session how great Horror Revealed scenes are. The first session of the game, we forgot that this was possible(!), and last week we changed to bring them back in. The effect was really great -- in the first session I had felt really uncomfortable because I-the-GM had a lot more forcing power than I was comfortable with, and in the second the balance shifted back to a much less lopsided point.

There was a second wow! moment when the players realized that they could use their Less than Humans traits to deliberately fail at their Master's commands, and gain Weariness rather than Self-Loathing. (This realization also freed me up, too, because I realized that I could go to town with even more insane ruthlessness as the Master.)
Neel Krishnaswami

Paul Czege

Hi Neel,

When a player does something that would push their PC's Self-Loathing above Love+Reason and they trigger a Horror Revealed, does the character's Self-Loathing go up, or is it capped at Love+Reason? So far, we've been playing that it does go up. Is this right?

From page 36:
    "If a roll would ever result in a minion's Self-loathing growing greater than Love plus Reason, a revelation of horror and consequences in the environment is triggered instead.

The resolution of the current scene is roleplayed just as if Self-loathing were gained, but Self-loathing actually remains the same..."[/list:u]So, the answer is that Self-loathing does not increase.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

xiombarg

Quote from: Paul CzegeSo, the answer is that Self-loathing does not increase.
In fact, speaking as one of the playtesters who influenced the creation of this rule, I'd like to mention that not having Self-Loathing go up is the whole point. A rapid too-high upward spiral of Self-Loathing can result in a not-fun situation where the character can't effectively do anything positive, only violence. Check out the original playtest discussion if you're interested...
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

neelk

Thanks for the link. We did have that very problem -- all of the characters ended up dying in the epilogue, except for one. However, the epilogues were generally very cool, so all's well that ends well. I definitely want to run MLwM again, though I figure we'll have to do something else first, as kind of a palette cleanser.
Neel Krishnaswami