News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I Have an Issue, for one

Started by lumpley, August 03, 2004, 03:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hello,

What I like best about the Trollbabe comics is how they make everyone involved stretch their minds and skills a little. Just about every artist has said, "Urh?" and then "I dunno," and then, "OK, I think I can ..." or some similar sequence. After the first strip, even if there are logistic hassles, they really get into it and deliver work well beyond what they thought they could do.

I really like Jonathan's photo-based work. I also like the stuff on his website where he combines stick figures and other neat graphics with the photo cut-outs. In the Issues story, I really like the little "yeah, and?" visual cues like the "To Rus" sign. He's using photos, but photographic respresentation (in the literal sense) is totally not what's going on - we're talking pure iconography.

Jonathan, you mentioned in private email that you noted really distinctive pacing shifts in my scripts, as in skipping over what might be hours or even days of stuff happening between panels, then slowing down to moment to moment, reaction by reaction snail's-pace. You asked whether my GMing was similar.

I think it is. I've never understood or been interested in developing any sense of the integrity of in-game time unless it's an opponent or constraint which serves some other purpose. I'm completely happy to say, "Tell you what, let's just let a few days go by," and then after that spend a whole play-session on a single assignation or debate over cattle-territory.

To me, it's all about conflict. There isn't any conflict when Retta and Rus are dancin' the night away, stumblin' toward the temple to check out the etchings, and then doin' stuff you don't get to watch. So all the strip needs is a quick step-by-step to get it done, maybe with a little characterization (more 1970s dialogue from Rus, e.g.).

Gwyneth shows up? Oh man, that's different: conflict. I'm likin' this character and may find myself writing a whole story just about her, no trollbabes. H'm, same might go for Vanth or Oskar. Interesting thought ...

Best,
Ron