News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Code of Unaris] Don't miss this one

Started by Ron Edwards, September 12, 2004, 12:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

On that last, I think the question is this:  You cannot hack "The Warlock" into "A Barmaid".  But can you hack "A Barmaid" into "The Warlock"?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Christopher Weeks

Ron,

I was responding to a bunch of posts.  I do get the hacking rules except for the question about hack-prrof words that I asked and Tony respecified it better.  Oh, and I didn't get from your original discussion that a player could only hack once every ten seconds because the only thing about ten seconds that I saw was the timeframe during which a statement could be hacked.

I'm actually pretty energized by the concept of hacking as an embrace of the medium.  Particularly for the type two and three hacks as you enumerated them.

Out of curiosity, and maybe this deserves another thread (but where?), what do figure is the problem with monkeying with a system before getting a chance to play.  Do you view it as implicit rejection of the original system based on ignorance?  I don't think that Jonathon or I were rejecting the CoU default, just bouncing ideas around.

Chris (just ordered the book)

Andy Kitkowski

Hi all, Andy K here- I was the one that was plugging these guys and shuffling some of the Forge booth guys over to their booth (mostly for the game itself, but also because they were giving the first 100 copies away in a very, "Cool!  But are you guys f*cking nuts???" fashion).

Anyway, haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I wanted to recommend something to you Windows users out there: Metapad:

http://www.liquidninja.com/metapad/

Metapad is like the Windows Textpad, with extra features on it.  You can have it set to Always On Top, you can make it transparent, etc.  I use it all the time when I am having long chat discussions, as these features are invaluable for quick "copy and paste" functions like Unaris requires (tag lines, etc).

So if you're gonna give it a shot, and you're running Win, I highly recommend Metapad.

Good Luck!
-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

GaryTP

Quote from: Andy KitkowskiHi all, Andy K here- I was the one that was plugging these guys and shuffling some of the Forge booth guys over to their booth (mostly for the game itself, but also because they were giving the first 100 copies away in a very, "Cool!  But are you guys f*cking nuts???" fashion).
-Andy

Uh, yes! :)

Actually, the books are a way better marketing device than banner ads and some other forms of advertising. Games take a long while to spread through word of mouth, and even then you need to have a certain number of players using the game before there is enough critical mass for it to affect sales. The giveaways are used to jumpstart this.

Regarding the question on "time". Time is a big part of the meta-plot and we've placed certain things off-limits to players. There'll eventually be four other books, each taking the story ahead one year. Once you have those books you can travel back and forth in time to the book you wish to adventure in.

Gary

Jonathan Walton

Quote from: Christopher WeeksI don't think that Jonathon or I were rejecting the CoU default, just bouncing ideas around.

Yeah, what he said.  Come on, Ron, we're all game designers here, so my first instinct is to go from "hacking is cool!" to "what other cool things could we do with it?"  But maybe that does need another thread...