News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

WGP Review on rpg.net

Started by Michael S. Miller, October 04, 2004, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael S. Miller

The first review of the Preview Edition went up on RPG.net today. Read it here

Carl makes some good points that I will have to address. Plus, I think I have some new back-cover copy:

Quote[...] this game definitely emphasizes the part morality play, part soap opera, and part high-special-effects pro-wrestling match that is the superhero comic.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Andy Kitkowski

And it's not a complete RPGNet review without asshats taking potshots in the Comments section!

I don't think that of Tim Kirk, mind you (I meant the comments of others on that same thread).  It's just that he has a different perspective that is so tightly-bound he's unable to make that gestalt shift to this model of distribution (which, incidentally, is The Standard of all regular business, all startups, all venture capital, etc). It's a decent moral code which bears observation, because others may think the same way.  

But in the end of the day, it (nor Seanchai's inevitable appearance and potshots) doesn't say anything about the quality or potential of the product itself. It does stand on its own as a "creative investment".  I sure as hell got my money's worth.  And I'm hoping that we see the final product, even if it's sans art, by GenCon 2005 (but I pray sooner).

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: Andy KitkowskiI sure as hell got my money's worth.  And I'm hoping that we see the final product, even if it's sans art, by GenCon 2005 (but I pray sooner).

Thanks Andy. The fireworks were kinda fun to watch. Kinda like seeing folks talk about the FVLMINATA initiative system (Senators go first, no matter what).

I want to assure you that the full version will definitely NOT be sans art. That presentation you gave on Japanese RPGs has germinated in my brain and the full version of WGP will have a good deal of art modeled after some of those. There will be NO free-standing illustrations (except perhaps a character portrait or three). The game is about superhero comics and, as Scott McCloud shows us, "comics" requires at least two juxtaposed images to merit that title.

As for "sooner than GenCon '05," that depends on securing some artists and getting some solid writing time. My last local convention of the year is next weekend, so after that, work will begin in earnest. I wouldn't expect it any earlier than May.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: Michael S. MillerThat presentation you gave on Japanese RPGs has germinated in my brain and the full version of WGP will have a good deal of art modeled after some of those.

Then I better step up my translation.  I'm doing "scanlations" now of the various comics in that book and others, translating them into English under the same comic format. I should have the nifty rules/Tenra ones finsihed within 2 weeks.

Here's a sample:
SAMPLE REMOVED. TOO DAMN BIG.  I'll just put it in a RPG Theory thread in a week.
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

dunlaing

Quote from: Andy KitkowskiI don't think that of Tim Kirk, mind you (I meant the comments of others on that same thread).  It's just that he has a different perspective that is so tightly-bound he's unable to make that gestalt shift to this model of distribution (which, incidentally, is The Standard of all regular business, all startups, all venture capital, etc). It's a decent moral code which bears observation, because others may think the same way.

I bought the playtest version, but I can definitely see Tim's point. It does irk me a bit that I won't be getting a discount on the final product due to having paid for the playtest version.