News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Capes] Scene Goals

Started by TonyLB, September 17, 2004, 11:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Ruff

IMHO, claiming the Goal isn't a problem. If any player claims it, they've done it for the side.

The tricky bit is agreeing what the Goal is in the first place. I think a 'team huddle' at the start of the scene to agree this is acceptable.

And if one player can't agree with the team Goal and wants to pursue their own Agenda (kill the Bank Robbers, rather than capture them) then I think the rules can already handle them taking their own side, even splitting dice from their team near the end of the conflict (betrayal!)
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'

TonyLB

I'm sorry, Doug, but I don't see what this does that Complication's don't do already.

If all of the players are agreed that some Complication is the "key conflict" of the scene then they're going to put most of their effort into it, on both sides of the hero/villain divide.  Which means that it will be worth a lot of Victory Points.  Which means that when it's resolved the scene will end.  So when you have the consensus that Scene Goals would require anyway, Complications work just like Scene Goals.

However, if the players aren't agreed on which Complication is key then the existing Complication system lets them find out by playing the game.  Scene Goals would prevent that.

I appreciate that you've put a lot of thought into this, but I don't have a use for it.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Doug Ruff

Fair enough, Tony, I can see that. In which case, I'll try very hard to avoid using Goal (with a capital "G") from now on (unless it's at the beginning of a sentence!)

Thanks for taking the time to explore this with me - I would suggest that this thread is now closed unless someone has something really important to say about it.
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'