News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

#52 arrived safely in Scotland

Started by Per Fischer, September 22, 2004, 05:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Fischer

My copy of DitV arrived safely through my letterbox yesterday, and I have been reading it since, family life and sleep permitting.
It looks and reads gorgeous, and I can't wait playtesting it as it is. The conlict resolution mechanics sound awesome in theory - so simple and yet so versatile and scalable. And a big plus to Vincent (or whoever is responsible for the almost psalm-like layout) for choosing Oldstyle fonts and not putting any illustrations in the book. I think that's just about perfect.

Thanks, brother.
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: pfischerAnd a big plus to Vincent (or whoever is responsible for the almost psalm-like layout) for choosing Oldstyle fonts and not putting any illustrations in the book. I think that's just about perfect.

Wow, thanks!

Not to worry you, but there will be illustrations in future editions. I promise I'll make them as tasteful and integrated as I can.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

DannyK

I was thinking as I read through the example combat in the barn that "this is where they'd usually have a picture of some people fighting."  But then I thought, my mental image was as good as anything that could have been drawn.  I would like more pictures of Dogs, though, to let folks leaf through it and be inspired, but that would be gravy.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: DannyKI was thinking as I read through the example combat in the barn that "this is where they'd usually have a picture of some people fighting."  But then I thought, my mental image was as good as anything that could have been drawn.  I would like more pictures of Dogs, though, to let folks leaf through it and be inspired, but that would be gravy.

Ah, no, not that kind of illustration at all.

Don't worry. It'll look great, and it won't be obnoxious, neither.

lumpley

Per: thank you! I'm glad it's there.

I quite like the unillustrated book too.

-Vincent

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: lumpleyPer: thank you! I'm glad it's there.

I quite like the unillustrated book too.

-Vincent

Hey! Who's side you on?

lumpley

I'm on the game's side. Whose side are YOU on?

Zing!

I had great conversations at GenCon with some really smart people about illustrations. We flipped through some books, compared what worked and what didn't. I sucked up a lot of wisdom. When we add illos to the book, they're going to be just right.

-Vincent

Ron Edwards

Hey Vincent,

Count this as a vote for full-page illustrations with some kind of neat scrolled frames, like a 19th-century portrait - or better, photograph, with the people sitting or standing stiffly.

Also, have you considered using a larger font size? The look of the book is great, reminds me of a religious tract. Larger print, though, is what I keep wanting as I actually read it. It's not a vision, can-I-read-it thing, but rather an information, this-stuff-is-here thing.

Best,
Ron

lumpley

DannyK

I liked the size too.  It made me think of old-style political pamphlets.  The very complete reference sheet that you include with the rulebook makes up for a lot in terms of convenience.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHey Vincent,

Count this as a vote for full-page illustrations with some kind of neat scrolled frames, like a 19th-century portrait - or better, photograph, with the people sitting or standing stiffly.

Ha ha! You read my brains! Except that we can't get 19th century overbearing with the borders. The way it is on the cover was the compromise between modern sensibilities and 19th century ornamentation.

QuoteAlso, have you considered using a larger font size? The look of the book is great, reminds me of a religious tract. Larger print, though, is what I keep wanting as I actually read it. It's not a vision, can-I-read-it thing, but rather an information, this-stuff-is-here thing.

I hadn't really thought of that, but then, I don't really read the words so much as look at them as a shape. I don't see why not, and if it makes it easier to find stuff, then great.

Christopher Weeks

I was thinking illustrations would be cool as half-page pieces each of which was a catalog entry from early Sears and Roebucks (or DI?) catalogs.  I have a vision in mind that I don't know how to convey, but it's novel and cool. :-)

Chris