News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Breaking Things in Donjon

Started by Lougar01, September 29, 2004, 08:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lougar01

Had an interesting situation in the game recently.  Player had a BAS (Big Ass Sword), and used it to chop open a door to make a big entrance into the room (the door had been unlocked and open, he closed it himself before chopping it apart!).

What sort of suggestions do you have for things to resisting being broken apart? I know that in combat you can state facts to have things happen, but should there be some number of successes before you can break an enemies sword, or shield, or anything along those lines?

Clinton R. Nixon

See the "Failure and Damage" section of Resolution. Basically, one success can remove one point from any mundane Ability of an item. If an item has no Abilities, one success will destroy it. So, for most doors and such, one success bashes them in. If they have an Ability like "Stay Shut 3", it'll take three successes.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Lougar01

"an Ability like "Stay Shut 3", it'll take three successes."

Oh Man, that is hysterical! I never thought of giving things like doors their own Abilities!!!
   Now I have to get really creative and start creating all sorts of Abilities for objects- like a Sandy Beach of "Sap Your Strength to Run".... or other nastyness...

Thanks!!!!

Ron Edwards

Hi Lougar,

That's totally how to think about Donjon as well as a whole bunch of other games around here.

There's no such thing as "opposed vs. unopposed" rolls - that whole idea was a mistake from the start, for any RPG.

Best,
Ron

Lougar01

Hello Ron,
  Have to say I really liked Sorcerer, especially the Relationship Map.  But, I think Donjon will be my more enduring Love.  

I do have one other question.  It seems that Discernment is the most important Attribute in Donjon. It governs number of actions in combat, and the "Find What I Want" Abilities.
   Why is Discernment used for combat? And, would a combination of Discernment and Adroitness be better? Or maybe the Median of all Attributes?

Any suggestions?
   As you can tell, even though I love Donjon, I am an inveterate tinkerer.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Lougar01
   I do have one other question.  It seems that Discernment is the most important Attribute in Donjon. It governs number of actions in combat, and the "Find What I Want" Abilities.
   Why is Discernment used for combat? And, would a combination of Discernment and Adroitness be better? Or maybe the Median of all Attributes?

It's pretty balanced: Discernment gives you more chances to do stuff, but everything else gives you a better ability to do things in those chances. If Discernment's weighted a little heavy - well, I like Discernment. Adroitness is right out, though: using it to get actions and then for actually hitting in those actions makes it monstrously over-used.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games