News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dogs for Mormon-Clueless?

Started by Thunder_God, September 30, 2004, 10:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder_God

How would the game work for someone who has no idea at all regarding Mormons? Supposed you do use the default setting.
Guy Shalev.

Cranium Rats Central, looking for playtesters for my various games.
CSI Games, my RPG Blog and Project. Last Updated on: January 29th 2010

Trevis Martin

It would work perfectly fine.  The book itself explains everything essential about the Faith (which is not Mormanism, actually, it is  just is based on it.)  You could walk in stone cold, read the book, and have a fine idea of the setting.

best,

Trevis

Joshua A.C. Newman

Yeah, totally don't sweat it. It's really only barely relevant.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Judd

I am a Jew who read the New Testament once for a college class and it didn't effect anything.

As a matter of fact, I think my game got better when I urged my players to make up passages from the Book of Life rather than quote real Biblical passages.

Thunder_God

I don't know most sub-groups in Christianity, were they Sabbaticals it'd be no sweat. I know my Old Testament quite fine, but still have not put time aside to read the New Testament.

Now, we'll need to see how Watchmen works in DitV and Paladin; Especially Rorschach.

Thanks for the answers! :)
Guy Shalev.

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: Thunder_GodNow, we'll need to see how Watchmen works in DitV and Paladin; Especially Rorschach.

Very interesting. The conflict resolution system would work just great and the character-as-judge PC type is a good fit, too.

The primary problem that I see is that, in Watchmen, only three of the many characters care about larger society at all. Most of the characters are so wrapped up in their personal lives that nothing else matters too much to them.

Rorschach would work great, as would Ozymandias. The Comedian would be good, too. Everyone else is sort of out of the game for their various good reasons, and they're only barely working together when they even speak to each other.

Now, I think if you just assume an Alan Moore sensibility when your group decides to do a superhero game, it could work great. I wouldn't try for the characters, events, or world from Watchmen, I'd just keep the ambience Moore generates so well.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Thunder_God

Quote from: nikola
Rorschach would work great, as would Ozymandias. The Comedian would be good, too. Everyone else is sort of out of the game for their various good reasons, and they're only barely working together when they even speak to each other.

Now, I think if you just assume an Alan Moore sensibility when your group decides to do a superhero game, it could work great. I wouldn't try for the characters, events, or world from Watchmen, I'd just keep the ambience Moore generates so well.

Indeed, but I was thinking of a small enough group to fit the "Hardcore", and have the Sigs more as 'test characters' rather than actually played PCs.

If recreating Moore's ambience was so easy I'd be famous, what does create his ambience while we're at it?
Guy Shalev.