News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

RPG Net review of Dogs

Started by Trevis Martin, October 01, 2004, 01:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevis Martin

Is here

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10709.phtml

Its a little abbreviated but a good showing none the less.  

best

Trevis

Per Fischer

I think the review is a bit bland, and at least in one case totally off:
"marred by less-than-perfect layout"?

I don't think I've seen a RPG layout that fit the game's background and intent since Castle Falkenstein. In short, DitV has a nearly perfect layout and typography. Even the paper makes the right noise.

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Brand_Robins

Quote from: pfischerI don't think I've seen a RPG layout that fit the game's background and intent since Castle Falkenstein.

Not everyone has enough experience with pamphlets, religious tracts, and dime novels to understand what Dogs layout was about. I sure loved it, but I'm a core target audience and got the feel. Someone with a majority of experience around more modern books and layouts may take it as a mistake rather than an homage.
- Brand Robins

Per Fischer

QuoteNot everyone has enough experience with pamphlets, religious tracts, and dime novels to understand what Dogs layout was about. I sure loved it, but I'm a core target audience and got the feel. Someone with a majority of experience around more modern books and layouts may take it as a mistake rather than an homage.

I guess you are right. But are you saying that it was wrong to go all the way with the layout like that?

I produced the book today, in fact, in front of a a couple of people who hadn't seen it, and I felt that the initial reaction was something along the lines of "wow, that's something different".

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Brand_Robins

Quote from: pfischerI guess you are right. But are you saying that it was wrong to go all the way with the layout like that?

Nope. I'm generally not for pandering, and I always say go with the vision. I was just guessing at why some people might not like Dog's layout.
- Brand Robins

Joshua A.C. Newman

Well, I suspect that they're looking at the GenCon edition, which, at last count, had some 80 errors in it. Such is the nature of a rush to print and an unforgiving deadline. However, I believe there is only one layout error in the First Edition (touch wood).

If they don't like the 19th-century-overabundance-meets-21st-century-postmodernism, well, that's fine, but they're not going to like the game either. Either that, or they like the game, and I don't know why they don't like my book design. I mean, it's not Burning Wheel, but, well, Luke's a Most Excellent Designer.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.