News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dogs in the IRC - Initiations

Started by Jonathan Walton, October 03, 2004, 11:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyce

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonExcept now I have to stop thinking of a Dog's epiphany as Mediocre Sex.  Thanks, Doyce.

Heh.

Except... there is no mediocre first sex... it's just the doubt and questioning afterwards that makes it so :)

Damn I'm deep tonight. ;)
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Doyce
Quote from: Jonathan WaltonExcept now I have to stop thinking of a Dog's epiphany as Mediocre Sex.  Thanks, Doyce.

Heh.

Except... there is no mediocre first sex... it's just the doubt and questioning afterwards that makes it so :)

Damn I'm deep tonight. ;)

This is something that's a little off topic, but all your demon-take-it sex talk made me think of it.

Nine to one odds Cyrus isn't a virgin -- I mean, growing up in the sinful eastern cities, rich kid, lots of temptation, lots of opportunity.  Or, if he is, he totally sees it differently than the other kids would, right, because it isn't just the normal state of a teenager.  

That is going to totally change up the group dynamic.

Crazy.

yrs--
--Ben

beingfrank

Quote from: Jonathan WaltonClaire (Jared): Resolve doubts about whether I really deserve to be a Dog.

So I get to play all your insecurities, all those parts of you that say "No, you can't do it.  You should have left this stuff to your sister."  Sweet.  So what if your sister comes to visit you at the Temple and there's some sort of crisis while she's there, and we get to see which of you handles the problem?  What should the crisis be?

That works for me, though I wasn't thinking of it as a direct competition with the sister.  But stepping up to handle a crisis works, and it's something that I, as a player, suck at getting my characters to do, so that will be fun.  I'm having a complete blank on what the crisis should be.  I'll think further.

Doyce

Quote from: Ben LehmanThis is something that's a little off topic, but all your demon-take-it sex talk made me think of it.

Dunno, there's many ways that sex has already come up, directly or indirectly.  
* certainly it's an issue for the city boy :)
* ... Jezebel...  need we say more? :)
* Esau is "living proof of his mother's folly" (promiscuity, in this case).
* Jubal specifically mentions he's never married (sex an issue by its absence) and makes a connection out of a potential romantic interest among his instructors at Temple.

That's four out of six off the top of my head. :)  Heck, the book make sex an issue simply by stating that by default, all Dogs are in their early twenties, unmarried, and virgins.   (For that matter, look at the book's stance on using Sex as a driving factor behind a town's problems -- number one with a bullet :)

I'd say the parallels and issues are definitely there to be explored, if that's the way things go :)
--
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Ben LehmanThis is something that's a little off topic, but all your demon-take-it sex talk made me think of it.

I'd say the parallels and issues are definitely there to be explored, if that's the way things go :)

BL>  Oh yeah.  Totally.  Let's go there.

I was just ribbing you about the sex-talk.  This is "raw, bloody story meat" all the way.

yrs--
--Ben

beingfrank

Quote from: Ben Lehman

BL>  Oh yeah.  Totally.  Let's go there.

I was just ribbing you about the sex-talk.  This is "raw, bloody story meat" all the way.

Jared's in the back of my head complaining bitterly about the sex implications of 'good kid' and that he never even got a choice to be bad.  So that's five.

anonymouse

This (the sex thing) would be interesting to bring to the forefront for Hosea because he's (comparatively) so young, at 15.

In this issue particularly, but also in general, I can see Cyrus having some chances to influence the young Dog, seeing as how he's from the City.
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

DannyK

Sex and belonging to a group seem to be very big issues to everybody... it's good stuff, especially for late-adolescent characters.

Ben Lehman

So... initiations.

I think we've all pretty much nailed our challenges, as in, what they are.

Are we going to do initiation challenges in this thread or over IRC next Monday?

yrs--
--Ben

Jonathan Walton

I was thinking that real time would be better.  Or, as an alternative, we could start a new thread and run Doyce's initiation as a example, complete with the other players commenting as it goes (this is Dogs, after all).  That would showcase the system for the unfamiliar and bookless, and would let Doyce have some fun, since he's not playing in the game at this point.

How's that sound?

Doyce

Works for me -- allow Jubal to be your aged and wrinkled Huckleberry.
--