News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Donjon - fixed damage anyone?

Started by Poleaxe, October 05, 2004, 11:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poleaxe

I personally always hated the fact that Dnd uses a random damage roll to follow up the attack roll in Combat.  That's yet another reason I now prefer systems that used fixed damage systems, modified by degree of succes on the attack roll.

Does anyone do this for Donjon?  Any successes from the attack roll, just add to Vitality+weapon DR and subtract opponent's Wherewithal+armor DR?

Are they mechanical side effects I should know about before implementing something like this? So far, I would only use this for weapon combat.  I have not become that familiar enough with the magic system to consider it there.

Thanks,

Poleaxe

Lougar01

No, But, I have implemented a different rule.  
    Every Successful Attack does at least a point of damage- Flesh Wound, etc.
    That way, a solid 15 point damage success is not completely negated by a single 20.

That seemes to work.  I have four players that love the random dice mechanic, and one that can't seem to get anything when he rolls for damage- even with, literally, 15 dice.
    I really like the competition between DM and Player. Using just a static damage (Damage - Resistance) rule takes that feel out of it for me.