News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[PUNK] try some PUNK via IRC?

Started by DevP, October 08, 2004, 03:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevP

I posted to indie-netgaming about a oneshot (playtest? drivethru?) of gobi's excellent game, PUNK; I thought I'd mention it here too, since may folks took a shine to the game. To summarize:
QuoteThis game is for playing "-punk" genres - steampunk, cyberpunk, ectopunk, gothpunk, lycanthropunk - with the rules focusing on the essence of the genre, being fighting Authority and The Man.

most recent version: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10427&highlight=punk
Actual Play: CyberBiblePunk in Judea 20X6 !! http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=10799&highlight=punk

This thing is cool, and deserves some roadtesting.

DETAILS

We're going for this Sunday evening, 8pm EST, in the indie-netgaming IRC. However, you need to let me know if you're game, else I'll scuttle this if I don't have enough folks.

I will try streaming the soundtrack over Shoutcast radio, and it will be awesome if it works right. Rules can be explained at the game. We're basically gonna go with what's in the thread, with the slightest of tweaks* that we're gonna try out..

Ideally, gameplay will be short and to the point: gameplay will be the length of one CD (approx 80 minutes), plus time to explain the rules. so the entire thing should run from 90 minutes to 2 hours. If you need your punk to die in a blaze of guiness (read: you leave early), we'll talk.

TWEAKS* The thread says a punks is defined by 3 passions and 3 other traits. We're clarifying those "other traits" as 3 Specific Style Details, a la octaNe. Frex: (1) a Tough Guy's Spiky Leather Jacket (2) Always wearing UberCyberGoggles of NetFlexability (3) Huge Doc Martens with JumpJets installed.

And, more interestingly: the Man rolls 1 die for each Threat that's in a scene. What's a Threat? Basically a list of traits that's created by the gaming group, because: a -punk genre is fundamentally defined by the Threats the Man brings against you. Doesn't that just make sense?

cyberpunk = evilmegacorp + AI eating your brain + ...
steampunk = victorian upper class + nazis + steam mecha + ...

We'll see that in action soon enough.

GENRE?

Let's kick up a discussion - what kind of "-punk" genre sounds fun for a go? I vote GothPunk (with fighting of occult beasties), since I've got some perfect music (Lost Sounds, Misfits, World Inferno Friendship Society) for the soundtrack...keno

b_bankhead

I want to try playing this game but I can't  Sunday evenings.  I could do pickup games some mondays and scedule for almost any Tues and Wed.
Got Art? Need Art? Check out
SENTINEL GRAPHICS  

Shreyas Sampat

I'm in the same situation; I run a game Sundays, so it would be a disservice to my players for me to be playing some totally different game at the same time.

DevP

Understood. I'll talk with gobi to see what he would think.

Daniel Solis

Weeknights are tough since I have to get up very early for work. :( Are friday nights or anytime saturday good?

(P.S. Holy cow, it's been a while since I've posted.)
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

Lathan

This evening?  I'm interested but absentminded.  What's the server and channel for indie-netgaming?

Gothpunk is okay with me, though I think I'd prefer a less supernatural and more twisted-natural atmosphere.

I can also supply stuff for the soundtrack, if you haven't done it all already:

Killing Joke - Democracy
The Clash - The Clash
Ramones - Too Tough to Die; Hey Ho Let's Go (anthology)
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju
The Legendary Pink Dots - Curse, The Tower (not really punk as such, very soft and slow electronic, but I think it could work for a dark punk game.  The lyrics are what do it.)
Buzzcocks - Operator's Manual
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables, Bedtime for Democracy
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks
Black Flag - Family Man (mostly spoken word)
Rollins Band - Get Some Go Again

DevP

Hey Lathan. About IRC -  indie-netgaming is on the linuxguy.magicstar.net  server. amd the channels are #indierpgs (general group socialization), and #indie_ooc & #indie_nar for gameplay.

Firstly, a game tonight: I'm not so sure for this Sunday evening on grounds of notice / etc, but if you and gobi can, I'm all for it.

I'd be in favor of a weekday game, and a Sunday game (separate games). For a weekday game, which days / when is alright? Monday nights at 9pm?

Lathan

Monday at 9 is good here.

Uh oh... bad news.  I have to use a CGI client to access IRC from my dorm, and that server appears not to like them.  I've sent them an email asking if there's anything to be done, but I don't know what'll happen.

DevP

Hm. Try a different client, such as MIRC for Windows, or Chatzilla built into windows? PM me if you want some more help here.

(Slight note; I'm not sure about *this* Monday at 9pm, but enough of you want it and want it now, I'd reconsider.)

Lathan

Unfortunately, the dorm connection blocks pretty much everything I've found except CGI:IRC.  It took me a good deal of searching to find that, too.  I guess I'll have to wait and see how they respond to the email.

Lathan

(sorry about the double post, this took a while)

I've found a way to access MagicStar (with help from Janus, one of the administrators).  As soon as there are enough players, I'm pretty much ready.

DevP

Okay, post here or notify me if you're good to play for either night! Forgive the titles, I'm caffeinated.

1: Sunday Night Smashery: 9pm
Hopefully featuring gobi! And other stuff.

2: Monday Night Mauling: 8pm
The normal indie-netgaming time and place. For those of you who can't make Sundays.

Format
We will come up create threats/genre once we're assembled (I'm currently still favoring gothpunk, lycanthropunk and cyberpunk), and I'll try to broadcast appropriate music (with song submissions as possible). I'm volunteering to be The Man (GM) for both games, but I might switch that off to gobi or such on Sunday, mainly to screw with y'all.

Thanks!

Lathan

Sunday night is good, Monday I may be a few (probably < 10) minutes late coming in.  Eastern time?

Daniel Solis

Count me in for Sunday, but I'm already running a game that afternoon so I'll let hizzoner Dev be the Man.
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

DevP

Okay - Sunday night is then confirmed!

As for Monday night: if I'm gaming Sunday evening, I'm not 100% sure I'll be up for one again on Monday, esp. since I'm going to be rather busy this weekend. So, for Bryan + Shreyas (and Lathan, and anyone else who's game) , I say:
* we can do a pickup game (sign on to the IRC and see who's around)
* we can make a 100% definite time/date for a next time (and you should give me better days/times, like 9pm if that's better).