News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Suggestions For Drawing Players Out

Started by wyrdlyng, February 01, 2002, 12:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrdlyng

Synopsis: I play in a Sunday D&D game run by my wife and featuring my cousin, his girlfriend and another friend. The GF is new to roleplaying but shows great potential. The cousin played on and off over the past 20 years but mostly Monty Haul D&D but does show the occasional glimmer of actual RP. Other friend shows that he can think in character but never acts on it aside from rushing to kill things. We chose 3rd Edition D&D because it was the only game that they were all familiar with.

Query: Does anyone have any suggestions on drawing them out and getting them to 1) roleplay their characters, 2) become more receptive to less structured games and 3) eventually become more open to Narrativism and slide away from Gamist behavior?

I've tried influencing them by example but it hasn't had any effect yet. They do show the occasional flash of potential but then they hide it away. We've been playing for a few months and everyone is fairly relaxed around each other.

So, any suggestions in either games or behavior which might help?
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I suggest letting them draw you out. These brief flashes, or characterizations, or moments of "more"-ness seem to indicate the potential, as you say. What needs some scrutiny is how you GM, specifically what you do regarding such instances.

I strongly suggest considering your own NPC play. Do any of your NPCs permit the players to "bring in" more of themselves, creatively? Are they there merely as foes? Or are they "behavioral foes," ie, barriers or traps regarding clues, just as doors and monsters are barriers (and traps are, well, traps) regarding treasure?

What, in your preparation, provides for the players literally being interested in what NPCs are feeling or what they have to say? And it's important to recognize that merely portraying colorful NPCs (accents, etc) is not the point - I am talking about engaging the players' interest and emotional commitment. (Note, also, that I am not talking about the characters, but the players.) Once that occurs, you'll be runnin' after your players, not trying to lead them along.

So I'm not really talking so much about techniques to "praise" the players for certain actions, but about techniques to make those actions more rewarding, consistently, in and of themselves.

Others' comments on this issue are extremely welcome.

Best,
Ron

Le Joueur

Quote from: Ron EdwardsI strongly suggest considering your own NPC play. Do any of your NPCs permit the players to "bring in" more of themselves, creatively? Are they there merely as foes? Or are they "behavioral foes," ie, barriers or traps regarding clues, just as doors and monsters are barriers (and traps are, well, traps) regarding treasure?

What, in your preparation, provides for the players literally being interested in what NPCs are feeling or what they have to say? And it's important to recognize that merely portraying colorful NPCs (accents, etc) is not the point - I am talking about engaging the players' interest and emotional commitment. (Note, also, that I am not talking about the characters, but the players.) Once that occurs, you'll be runnin' after your players, not trying to lead them along.

So I'm not really talking so much about techniques to "praise" the players for certain actions, but about techniques to make those actions more rewarding, consistently, in and of themselves.

Others' comments on this issue are extremely welcome.
To use your words, (and your 70s accent) Solid!

Fang Langford

[Emphasis mine.]
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

Paul Czege

In my own 70's accent, lookit the sense of humor on Fang!

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

jburneko

Hello,

I agree with Ron, that the best way to instigate change in your players is to change yourself.  First, figure out what you do and do not like about roleplaying.  The look into techniques and concepts that facilitate the things you do like and discard the things you don't like.  Finally, gradually start aplying those techniques.  Note: This may include playing an entirely different game.  For example, I find that the D&D ruleset really just facilitates a very hack 'n' slash mentality no matter the scenario driving it.  Once you're comfortable with the types of games you are running and the style in which you are running them you basically find three major reactions in your players.

1) Rejection.  Some players will become confused and frustrated by your change in style.  This is most likely an indication that their preferences just don't match up with your preferences.  I highly recommend that you don't try to force your prefences on them but I also suggest that you don't comprimise your own sense of fun and satisfaction just to appease them.  Explain what you are trying to accomplish and if they still don't like it suggest that they find another group to game with.

2) Acceptance: This is a very rewarding experience when it happens.  These players will gradually (VERY gradually) begin to catch on that there are new opportunities presented in your game that weren't there before.  As they begin to notice and acknowledge these opportunities they will seize them with vicious appetites and run with it.  These are the players you cater to.

3) Apathy: This is the weird category that I don't quite understand totally.  Your change in style will not effect these people one iota.  They seem to be enjoying themselves just as much as they were before with no real reaction either way.  They may exhibit a slight change in behavior to 'adjust' to your new style but nothing radical.  The best I can say is take 'em or leave 'em.  Let them come if they want.  They will most likely tag along with your more active players.

Just my thoughts.

Jesse