News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

More Bad Play Experiences

Started by ffilz, October 16, 2004, 08:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffilz

Yea, the note passing certainly helped in the communication department. However, most GMs I have played with have done a pretty good job with giving everyone a turn, at least in combat. Of course out of combat, I often become a wall flower again. I think what was more important thought were goals and abilities I could relate to. I didn't enjoy the 2nd Traveler game Glen ran nearly so much, in that game, I wound up with a womanizer, something I'm not terribly good at, I also didn't have as many skills that related so well to what we were doing.

One thing I've certainly learned is that characters need to have something they're good at, that is useful in the game as actually played, and that the player can relate to.

When I ran Traveler, every once in a while, when a new player joined, we would have to tell him that no, the ship couln't use another pilot, we already had more pilots than necessary, all who were probably better than a starting PC was likely to be (I used an experience system for Traveler so PCs could advance). Of course that brings up a problem with niche protection and new players. Sometimes the new player may not really want to fill one of the open niches.

Frank
Frank Filz

Callan S.

QuoteYea, the note passing certainly helped in the communication department. However, most GMs I have played with have done a pretty good job with giving everyone a turn, at least in combat. Of course out of combat, I often become a wall flower again.
One trick is in normal play the GM says his thing then goes through everyone one at a time, around the group, to see what people do. He does this over and over. Even if they don't have a plan, when they are next asked (and they will be), they may have cooked up something by then. Suggest this to your GM.

Actual play experiences with this: I agree with this as its a good idea, but often find myself as GM forgetting it, getting distracted by exciting stuff some players are suggesting. You may need to arrange a way with the GM to remind him to do this if he falls off the tracks.

Also, the guy who told me this was opinionated and loud...when I forgot in game to use the turn order (and failed to give him these turns), he got upset about it latter...even though I sort of forgot him because I knew he could fend for himself (and regularly did). Another reason to remind the GM rather than expect him to maintain it perfectly.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

ffilz

I'm not so worried about the "getting a turn" part. I prefer game systems with tactical combat systems and use of maps and miniatures or counters, and that tends to mean a fairly well defined order of play in combat or other stress situations. If you are doing time critical stuff, you have to be objective about time.

Out of stress situations, say in puzzle solving, or negotiating, or whatever, I often don't have something to contribute, and people tend to do a better job of listening when you try and speak.

I'm much more interested in exploring the questions Ron asked.

Frank
Frank Filz