News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Email addresses

Started by Valamir, January 26, 2002, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

Ack, slight problem...or maybe a how to question.

I'm having trouble sending email with an attachment to a forum member.  This is because niether the member list nor the profile actually lists an email address for me to use a regular mail program for.  Instead the email buttons go to a Private Message style screen where 1) the actual email address is hidden, and 2) I don't see an option for attachments.

Ideas?

Clinton R. Nixon

Send the forum member an e-mail and ask them for their address. I set up the forums this way on purpose (I could have included a mailto: type link instead) for two reasons:

a) A lot of us read the Forge from work or someplace where we can't get access to our mail programs. This way, we can still send mail to Forge members.

b) Members' privacy. You have to have a valid e-mail address to sign up for the Forge now, which is great, but not everyone wants their e-mail address public - especially since spammers will mine forums for addresses.

I know it's a pain if you want to send someone an attachment, but it's really the best way.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

J B Bell

Quote from: Clinton R Nixon
I know it's a pain if you want to send someone an attachment, but it's really the best way.

And, I should like to add, many of us want warning about attachments of any size anyway--all too frequently, I get "helpful" stuff like Word documents, Power Point presentations, Excel spreadsheets, etc. etc.  I run a Linux machine at home and, though I can translate a lot of this stuff, frequently it just goes in the round file.

--TQuid, Secretary, Internet Curmudgeon Local 477
"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

Clinton R. Nixon

As a fellow Linux user, I just have to put my fist in the air and agree.

-Clinton
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games