News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ties or have I missed something

Started by Kaare Berg, October 19, 2004, 02:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaare Berg

In our first game the following situation cropped up time and time again.

I had a pair left, say 4 and 6, and raised: "he pushes past and runs down towards the farm"

My player sees with his last 5 and 7" I grab him by the collar as he runs past and yank him back"

no more dice, no way for the kid to escalated to guns, no way for my player to roll more dice because he just used up he last two to block me.
Leaving the question:
Since he had the last block yet is unable to raise without escalating to guns does that me that I , the kid, win the conflict because I raised last, or does he win the conflict as the last player of dice?

Can't get my nugget around this.

Might be clearer when the book get here. until the I trust in your gathered wisdom.
-K

Brand_Robins

Well the player could roll more dice, if he had a trait or gear or something -- all he'd have to do is make them relevant to the scene.

If there just really were no more dice hitting the table I'd say the player won -- as he saw and beat your last action, and there are no new raises. In this case he yanks the kid back into the house, just like he said.

Of course this is also probably a perfect place for a follow up conflict, in which you've stopped the kid from getting out of the house, but not for going for your gun, going to his folks, going upstairs and pouting then trying to sneak out later -- something. The character has beaten him for the moment, but only by a narrow margin, so some future conflict is likely to come out of it.
- Brand Robins

Kaare Berg

Thanks,

QuoteWell the player could roll more dice, if he had a trait or gear or something

He had no more dice, he'd even used his horse, so his only option was to pull a gun at the kid, who had 3d4 and 3d6 fallout already.

QuoteIf there just really were no more dice hitting the table I'd say the player won -- as he saw and beat your last action, and there are no new raises. In this case he yanks the kid back into the house, just like he said.
My gut reaction too.

But why is it that you can reverse the blow with one die and then keep it for final come back, and not do the same with two dice?, or one of these two?

Oh the kid rolled way over twenty on the fallout so he fell and hit his head on a rock. The follow up conflict was the Dog trying to rescue the kid. He failed and this led into an intense end game.

K
-K

Brand_Robins

Quote from: NegilentOh the kid rolled way over twenty on the fallout so he fell and hit his head on a rock. The follow up conflict was the Dog trying to rescue the kid. He failed and this led into an intense end game.

Good! The fact that it ended well makes me hesistant to say this but....

How'd he get 20 fallout with the largest dice being d6's? Your fallout total is only the two highest of your fallout dice, not the sum of all of them.
- Brand Robins

Kaare Berg

Ahhh

QuoteHow'd he get 20 fallout with the largest dice being d6's? Your fallout total is only the two highest of your fallout dice, not the sum of all of them.

My bad, thought you totalled up the the fall out dice.

But this dosen't makes sense, this way in a physical fight, the minute you take the blow, there are no consequences for taking more blows. Same in a gunfight.

Bear with me, I've taken a blow (three d10) now there is no danger that may promt me to give earlier, so I keep taking blows cause the max I can roll is 20 no matter what. This, IMO, sort of take the teeth out of conflict resolution.

These teeth are what made my players say
"damn, this is the first time I've actually gotten nervous when people draw guns."

QuoteThe fact that it ended well makes me hesistant
Don't be. It didn't end well (storywise), two of three Dogs died and not a sinner left alive after a very tough firefight inside a small house. So actually this point is of some intrest

K
-K

Ben Lehman

Quote from: NegilentMy bad, thought you totalled up the the fall out dice.

But this dosen't makes sense, this way in a physical fight, the minute you take the blow, there are no consequences for taking more blows. Same in a gunfight.

Bear with me, I've taken a blow (three d10) now there is no danger that may promt me to give earlier, so I keep taking blows cause the max I can roll is 20 no matter what. This, IMO, sort of take the teeth out of conflict resolution.

BL>  Which is more likely to roll a 20?

2d10?
or
10d10, only counting the highest two?

yrs--
--Ben

lumpley

If you ask me, yeah, the person whose turn it is has to find that die for a Raise or else Give. "Give" is what you do if you don't Raise, whatever the circumstances.

I've never seen a tie in play. The person whose turn it is can always find one more die somewhere.

-Vincent