News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Environmental Factors?

Started by jenskot, October 19, 2004, 11:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenskot

Quick question. Was there a reason environmental factors were left out of conflict resolution? Attributes, Traits, Relationships all affect conflict but basic things like cover and distance have been left out.

I've talked to a few people about this offline and have received several logical and convincing explanations but I wanted to hear what the rest of your thought.

Thanks!

Albert the Absentminded

If it's okay cover, add 1d6.
If it's big cover, and 1d8
If it's excellent cover, add 2d6.
If it's big _and_ excellent cover, add 2d8.
If it's crap cover, add 1d4.

-Albert

jenskot

Thanks Albert. Is this in the book? Or are you just using the rules for things for environment factors as well (which was my innitial solution as well).

The real purpose of my post was to see if there was a reason environmental factors were left out in person to person conflict. To see if it was part of some rational tied in with the basic game design. For example, high Acuity may already assume that you are using environmental factors to the best for your ability for the highest possible advantage. That's just one example.

Does anyone know the reasoning for leaving environmental factors out?

DannyK

I can't give any kind of official ruling, but I suspect it's to keep the narrativist flavor as pure as possible.  If you've got rules for using trees as cover, that dilutes the importance of Traits and Relationships.  I know from play experience that players will grup for dice from whatever source they can.

Blankshield

I'm with Albert.  Things you hide behind are still things, and fall under the rules for things.

Just narrate them in like you would any object:

"I pull my gun and wave it threateningly":d6+d4

"I duck around the corner of the house":2d8

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: BlankshieldI'm with Albert.  Things you hide behind are still things, and fall under the rules for things.

Just narrate them in like you would any object:

"I pull my gun and wave it threateningly":d6+d4

"I duck around the corner of the house":2d8

James

Well, you might be able to introduce those things as you go, but most of the time, those are your sees and raises.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

lumpley

Why didn't I include dice for environmental factors?

I'm just not interested in that kind of modeling. Notice that it's not only environmental factors - you don't keep track of your characters' bullets either.

That said, I agree with Albert too.

In the first couple-few sessions, every group is going to come to agreement about what gets dice and what doesn't. "Improvised things" might very well include the door that you slam in someone's face and the woodpile you hide behind. Does it include the trees you're dodging between? Depends on the group. Does it include the range you're shooting at? Almost certainly not.

J, I don't get your comment. You can introduce a thing and roll its die as part of a Raise or See. "I dive behind bro Bryce's woodpile, which of course he has one, and coincidentally it's Large [clatter clatter 2d6], so your shot misses" is a fine See, even if nobody's mentioned bro Bryce's woodpile before that instant. The limit is what's cool with your fellow players, which you'll work out on the fly, by trying (or never trying) just those sorts of stunts.

-Vincent

jenskot

Quote from: lumpleyJ, I don't get your comment.
Which comment specifically?

Quote from: lumpleyIn the first couple-few sessions, every group is going to come to agreement about what gets dice and what doesn't. "Improvised things" might very well include the door that you slam in someone's face and the woodpile you hide behind. Does it include the trees you're dodging between? Depends on the group. Does it include the range you're shooting at? Almost certainly not.
Quote from: lumpleyYou can introduce a thing and roll its die as part of a Raise or See. "I dive behind bro Bryce's woodpile, which of course he has one, and coincidentally it's Large [clatter clatter 2d6], so your shot misses" is a fine See, even if nobody's mentioned bro Bryce's woodpile before that instant. The limit is what's cool with your fellow players, which you'll work out on the fly, by trying (or never trying) just those sorts of stunts.
This makes perfect sense to me. Thanks!

lumpley

Oh! Jenskot, I'm sorry. "J" is Nicola.

That'll be good and confusing for everybody. Hah.

-Vincent

Joshua A.C. Newman

I thought I already made this post, but I guess not:

Quote from: lumpleyJ, I don't get your comment. You can introduce a thing and roll its die as part of a Raise or See. "I dive behind bro Bryce's woodpile, which of course he has one, and coincidentally it's Large [clatter clatter 2d6], so your shot misses" is a fine See, even if nobody's mentioned bro Bryce's woodpile before that instant. The limit is what's cool with your fellow players, which you'll work out on the fly, by trying (or never trying) just those sorts of stunts.

What I meant was that it's not something that the GM's set up beforehand, it's just something you use during See and Raise. Obviously, if you're carrying around a shovel, you get its dice as soon as the conflict is physical (a digging contest, naturally), but it's not like you have to prepare all the stuff you're going to use beforehand, by laying out a map, or what-have-you.

I'll pay more attention to this next time we play. It's kinda neat; it gives more texture to the world if things are being explicitly used during conflict.

lumpley

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: lumpleyOh! Jenskot, I'm sorry. "J" is Nicola.

That'll be good and confusing for everybody. Hah.

Oh, and that's "Nikola", with a "k". What kind of mad scientist would I be without a k in my name?