News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Resolving Combat Distance

Started by Bill Cook, November 04, 2004, 01:03:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cook

More questions ..

(This seemed unrelated to the other thread I have going right now, so I started this one.)

Judging by the example text in the bottom two paragraghs on BW p. 155, it sounds like movement resolves combat distance as being "within striking distance" or "outside striking distance," whereas on BW p. 153, the Get Inside action is described to resolve a combat distance of "inside striking distance."

Continuing the mismatched weapon reach example on BW p. 155, if the spearman had scripted movement of "stand ground," how would combat distance resolve? What if the swordsman had scripted "sprint forward?" Does the example assume they have the same Sp? If so, how would it affect things if they didn't?

Thor Olavsrud

Quote from: bcook1971Continuing the mismatched weapon reach example on BW p. 155, if the spearman had scripted movement of "stand ground," how would combat distance resolve? What if the swordsman had scripted "sprint forward?" Does the example assume they have the same Sp? If so, how would it affect things if they didn't?

Okay, under the current rules, the spearman has a Striking Distance of 2 to 3 paces. He can make a Lunging Strike (at increased Ob) at 4 paces. The swordsman has a Striking Distance of 1 or 2 paces, and can make a Lunging Strike at 3 paces. There's a slight hiccup here at the 1 pace distance, because technically that is "Inside" of the spearman's reach. However, the Get Inside action dictates that if your opponent Gets Inside on you, you are also on his Inside. If a player used this to his advantage, I would assign the spearman a Situational penalty (probably +1 Ob as the spearman chokes up on his spear) if the swordsman dictated that he moved within 1 pace of the spearman.

For the purposes of this example, the swordsman has to move to 0 paces of the spearman to be "Inside." But he cannot accomplish this simply by scripting movement. He has to script the Get Inside action to do so, because the spearman is going to attempt to vigorously defend against any attempts to get inside the reach of his spear.

As for the sprinting, a sprinting character does not have to run in a straight line (unless he's doing an Avoid, which requires you to run straight back, or to 'Avoid In' toward your enemy at an increased Ob). The swordsman can choose to go ANYWHERE within the number of paces dictated by his sprint. If he wants to, he can run in a circle around the spearman (I would say he was looking for an opening).  Only if he scripts a Get Inside action can he get within 0 paces of the spearman.

taepoong

Quote from: Thor OlavsrudAs for the sprinting, a sprinting character does not have to run in a straight line.

I think the intent of BW has always been the opposite of this, Thor. When Sprinting, you pump your arms, lift your knees, and head in one direction. If the intent is to dance about, then one would use the Jog speed.
Abzu yelled at me and called my old sig "silly."

Bill Cook

Quote from: Thor OlavsrudThere's a slight hiccup here at the 1 pace distance, because technically that is "Inside" of the spearman's reach .. I would assign the spearman a Situational penalty (probably +1 Ob as the spearman chokes up on his spear) if the swordsman dictated that he moved within 1 pace of the spearman.

So you're house-ruling some degree of purely movement resolved inside-ness. While not uninteresting, this seems like a detail deeper than my level of focus.

Inside, the swordsman is only slightly less disadvantaged than the spearman. (i.e. +3 Ob vs. +4 Ob.) So he doesn't want inside; he wants within. On the other hand, the spearman wants to keep the swordsman beyond outside, making himself an illegal target.

Reviewing the example .. Ok, I missed that: they both dash for two paces; so their movement is a wash, and they must both have Sp's of four.

I think the answer I'm looking for is: maintain distance by paces moved. So I'm thinking:

[*].. if the spearman had scripted movement of "stand ground," how would combat distance resolve?

Accept the following table:

---------- :Distance in Paces:
---------- :--------------------:
---------- :knife, fist: :sword, axe, club: :pole weapon:
---------- :-----------: :---------------------: :----------------:
En Garde :-- 0p --: :--------- 0p --------: :----- 0-1p ----:
Striking :--- 1p ---: :------- 1-2p -------: :----- 2-3p ----:
Lunging :--- 2p ---: :-------- 3p --------: :------ 4p ------:

There being no challenge, the swordsman would close distance to within striking.

i.e. 4p [starting distance]- 2p [paces moved]= 2p [finishing distance].

(The overlap between striking sword and spear en garde sets a floor to closing distance for the swordsman, barring a successful Get Inside action. At least, that's one way to interpret. I think I'm seeing now that Thor's suggestion, above, is another way to address the same issue.)

[*]What if the swordsman had scripted "sprint forward?"

Moving faster, he would close to within striking distance.

i.e. 4p [starting distance] - 4p [swordsman] + 2p [spearman] = 2p [finishing distance].

The expense is movement-based obstacle penalties.

[*]Does the example assume they have the same Sp? If so, how would it affect things if they didn't?

I see now that it does. The greater your Sp, the greater your ability to control distance.
[/list:u]