News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking for tips on creating a show

Started by DannyK, November 09, 2004, 02:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyK

OK, here's the play:  I've ordered PTA on the strength of some RPG.net threads, and I'm waiting for it to arrive.  I'd like to start talking it up with my online playing buddies in the meantime, but I'm not sure what type of "shows" it does best.  Something genre-fied, probably with cops or private eyes, sounds good to me, as does a organized crime drama like the Sopranos.  

What plays to the game's strengths?  And does it matter if there are fantastic elements or not?  Moose in the city seemed completely realistic except for the titular moose.  

Feel free to squelch me with a "wait for your book to arrive, minion!" if so inclined.

Ron Edwards

Hi Danny,

If it's a story, you can do it. Fantastic or not, short-term (episodic) vs. long-term ("arc"), familar genre vs. off-beat premise, whatever.

Don't even try to come up with the idea now. It should be a group effort anyway.

Best,
Ron

Matt Wilson

What Ron said works for me.

As long as you have strong character drama involved, everything will be peachy.

dyjoots

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Danny,

If it's a story, you can do it. Fantastic or not, short-term (episodic) vs. long-term ("arc"), familar genre vs. off-beat premise, whatever.

Don't even try to come up with the idea now. It should be a group effort anyway.

Best,
Ron

I think it can do some good to come up with some starting points, just not to hold on to them too tightly.  I mean, the discussion has to start somewhere.  For the game I'm running, I had three or four very broad ideas to start the ball rolling.
-- Chris Rogers