News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Defending in combat.

Started by Adrienne, November 15, 2004, 11:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrienne

As I understand the rules, attacks in combats are opposed skill checks, with both attacker and defender rolling Ref+Brawling for a hand-to-hand attack, for example.  The two types of defense are parry and evasion.  My question is, are these types separated by any mechanical difference?  Or do they roll exactly the same skill, have exactly the same effects, and just use different description for how they escaped (or took) the blow?

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: AdrienneAs I understand the rules, attacks in combats are opposed skill checks, with both attacker and defender rolling Ref+Brawling for a hand-to-hand attack, for example.  The two types of defense are parry and evasion.  My question is, are these types separated by any mechanical difference?  Or do they roll exactly the same skill, have exactly the same effects, and just use different description for how they escaped (or took) the blow?
Hey,

The difference between the two (parry and evasion) isn't a very big difference.  Brawling covers evasion and blocking blows if using fists or knives.  Melee covers blocking blows in all other occassions.  Other than that the only difference that would come up would be any bonuses/penalties from weapons, shields and Descriptors.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Bifi

And what about missile/throwing weapons? Is it just REF+Archery vs. REF?
To see hell through lifeless eyes
Shadowy forms in gaslight bleed
Broken glass in absinthe dreams
Swirling down on wings of pain
To where emotions wounded lay
Crouching, crippled, tattered, bare

Keith Senkowski

Bifi,

Bows: Archery/REF vs. Melee/REF or Brawling/REF
Knives: Brawling/REF vs. Melee/REF or Brawling/REF
Other Melee/Thrown Weapons: Melee/REF vs. Melee/REF or Brawling/REF

Hope that clarifies it.  I know it isn't terribly clear in the book
Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Bifi

To see hell through lifeless eyes
Shadowy forms in gaslight bleed
Broken glass in absinthe dreams
Swirling down on wings of pain
To where emotions wounded lay
Crouching, crippled, tattered, bare