News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ritual Magic...

Started by urbwar, November 21, 2004, 09:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbwar

As I've been reading the book, I got to the section on ritual magic. One thing I didn't see was info on ritual magic. So how does one go about gaining them? Can they start off knowing any? Can they just pick them up by studying books, or is there an actual mechanic for doing so?

Does being Witchblooded have any effect on using rituals? I'd figure someone who is Witchblooded might have an easier time casting such rituals as opposed to those who don't have that connection to the ancients, but that's just me.

I figure the lack of info means it's more of picking up a book and learning the ritual, but figured I'd ask.

I like what I see of the ritual magic so far. Nothing too powerful, but some of them are helpful in taking on demons, which is something the players could definitely use.
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Keith Senkowski

Hey,

I left how one goes about acquiring rituals open.  There is no actual mechanic for gettting them.   I figured by leaving them open you can either just get them by reading out of a book or by hunting down a specific ritual that will allow you to defeat a particular enemy.  However, in the expanded Cell creation rules on the site I added Magic Rituals as something a cell can purchase during creation.

Being a Witchblood has no effect on using a ritual.  Though, that is a cool idea.  There are two ways you could go about it.  One would be that during the ritual, the Witchblood gains a bonus die for being what he/she is.  The other way would be (using the expanded rules) would be to add the characters Bloodline Rank to the ritual magic roll.

I'm glad you like what you have read so far.  The idea was to creat something that really isn't all that powerful, but has little glimmers of the power that used to be there when humanities precursers walked around.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

urbwar

Quote from: Bob GoatHey,

I left how one goes about acquiring rituals open.  There is no actual mechanic for gettting them.   I figured by leaving them open you can either just get them by reading out of a book or by hunting down a specific ritual that will allow you to defeat a particular enemy.  However, in the expanded Cell creation rules on the site I added Magic Rituals as something a cell can purchase during creation.

I like how open it is. I had not read the expanded Cell Creation rules, but I'll have to now.

Quote from: Bob Goat
Being a Witchblood has no effect on using a ritual.  Though, that is a cool idea.  There are two ways you could go about it.  One would be that during the ritual, the Witchblood gains a bonus die for being what he/she is.  The other way would be (using the expanded rules) would be to add the characters Bloodline Rank to the ritual magic roll.

Bloodline Rank? Is that in the optional rules?

Quote from: Bob Goat
I'm glad you like what you have read so far.  The idea was to creat something that really isn't all that powerful, but has little glimmers of the power that used to be there when humanities precursers walked around.

Keith

Yeah, I like that about the system. I also like how being Witchblood is separate from the ritual magic, so even the average person can use them if they are able to.

I also like how in the section on demons, it hits that there are possible ties between demons and the witchblood have a common link, since some demons have exhibited witchblood abilities.

Now I need to read those optional rules when I get a chance....

Keith Senkowski

Hey,

Yeah, Bloodline Rank is in the Alternate Magic Rules which is really a clean up of the September issue of EtS.  The Alternate Cell Creation rules are also on the site and give the Cells more depth (in my opinion of course).

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

urbwar

Quote from: Bob GoatHey,

Yeah, Bloodline Rank is in the Alternate Magic Rules which is really a clean up of the September issue of EtS.  The Alternate Cell Creation rules are also on the site and give the Cells more depth (in my opinion of course).

Keith

I did download everything from the site before the book arrived. I held off reading them until after I read through the book. I'm down to re-reading the conspiracy creation section, and I need to read the rules for creating supernatural threats. Once I do that, I will print up the optional stuff, and read through it as well