News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Role Playing

Started by Doehring, December 12, 2004, 10:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doehring

Personally I play D&D and when I agree it is not the best system the world itself has more resources than any other out there. The game is a giant and by making the d20 system freely available has squashed most signs of independ games.

Fight for your game promote your game enhance your game and point out how it is better. If you want make it popular get it out, post articles, get respictable reviews and get your name out.

Personally I have played many games if I can find players I will play any game at least once and any game I play twice I have to like. Once someone tried to run a D&D 1st edition and the entire group shoved it in his face.

People play a game they like that everyone knows and that gives them a sort of fantisy they wan't. People play what they know but in my experience people seem to alweys like other games if you can break down the barriers.

So if you can think of a way break down the barriers of people that D&D is the only game. I think this will be nearly as hard and convincing a jock that Role playing is as fun as football but it can be done.
Hope is hope and nothing more

Ron Edwards

The above was split from D&D snobs and marketing your own game.

Doehring, please review the guidelines for Forge posting in the sticky posts in the Site Discussion section.

Best,
Ron

daMoose_Neo

What bothers ME about D&D is the players mostly, those who DO believe it is the be-all-to-end-all system. Zombie survival? d20. Political wrangling? d20. Mythic Adventures of Epic proportions? d20 (the last was a legit campaign...here I am, a Half-Elf protige who is supposed to be uber-capable, and I'm screwing up on my Spot and Track checks, hitting my pet wolf with my arrows, and all sorts of other issues, almost dying at the hands of a toned down bug-bear).

The friend who DM'ed the one example above has this mentality. Thankfully, I've had him playing my Dummies Guide to Dungeons game, which he loved, but took a while to get used to as a player, initially playing as a D&D player (but he took to it alot quicker than others). Hes slowly warming up to non-D&D, but its still his staple gaming fix.

As a system, its important to recognize it for what it is, and let it have its place there. What designers who have qualms with it have to do is identify exactly where it fails you, build that bridge, then market the HELL out of that bridge. Those who have been looking for the same thing will flock to the title, if only to see how you did it and how they might be able to do it better.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!