News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Tribe] Concept for critique

Started by jknevitt, December 05, 2004, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daMoose_Neo

Quote from: jknevitt(I)t's not how you die, but how you live that counts.

Cut, copy, print. Damn thats good! Thats liable to get some attention right there! You've got premise, tagline, and summary of the system in one line I'd wager.
It'd make the game a fair bit different from most others, at least gives you a clearer goal, navigating your hero to his/her demise. I'd play it ^_^
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

jknevitt

Quote from: daMoose_Neo
Quote from: jknevitt(I)t's not how you die, but how you live that counts.

Cut, copy, print. Damn thats good! Thats liable to get some attention right there! You've got premise, tagline, and summary of the system in one line I'd wager.
It'd make the game a fair bit different from most others, at least gives you a clearer goal, navigating your hero to his/her demise. I'd play it ^_^

Heh, thanks. Put your gamist hat on for a moment and imagine this: you go through with your character, he ends up dead in a ditch somewhere, and then you look to the GM, and you say "What's my score?" The GM shakes his head, scribbles something on your character sheet and hands it to you:

F.
Unacceptable. See me after the game.

:D
James Knevitt

arete66

...with Seasonal based attributes??  That might be pushing the limits of your chosen exploration.  

Maybe make the seasonal based part of the attribute a toggle?  Or expand the scope of the aspect (for example, with an inner city gang, maybe the seasons are "business as usual", "war", "cops cracking down", etc.)

Cheers,
Tom

jknevitt

Quote from: arete66...with Seasonal based attributes??  That might be pushing the limits of your chosen exploration.  

Maybe make the seasonal based part of the attribute a toggle?  Or expand the scope of the aspect (for example, with an inner city gang, maybe the seasons are "business as usual", "war", "cops cracking down", etc.)

A good idea, Tom. I originally had seasonal Attributes as a form of marker for my genetic character creation, although now that a better solution has presented itself I'll most likely do away with the Seasonal appellations.

A primary aim of the core system of Tribe (which I will gleefully use for other things) is to keep it as light and as fast as possible. I'm not going to get anywhere as light and fast as There Is No Spoon, for example (and I suspect this is because I'm going diceless), but I want to keep it pretty close.

I intended the Seasons to act as a Attributal toggle, and that idea I'll keep. Therefore:

* Why would Attributes need a toggle of any kind?
* What purpose does adding another dimension serve?
* How does a Attribute toggle facilitate speed in a system?
* How does it make it easier to use?

They're the big questions. If I can answer them, I might be on to something.
James Knevitt

arete66

I think one great upside of the seasonal attribute is it focuses the character's attributes on the life cycle of the Tribe.  At least, that's what jazzed me about the idea when I first read it. :)

Any Tribe goes through cycles.  Heck, if the Tribe were a retail sales outfit, there would be the Xmas season and the Inventory season, right? :)

To me, seasonal attributes:

1) Provide a tie between the character's attributes and the life pulse of the Tribe.

2) Emphasize the viability of the Tribe...there are certain activities and modes of conduct that must occur during each "season" to ensure that the Tribe continues and survives.

(As an aside, I think you should follow that typographical conceit consistently throughout the finished game: "Tribe"...always capitalized...it is, after all, what the game is all about.)

Cheers,
Tom

jknevitt

Quote from: arete66I think one great upside of the seasonal attribute is it focuses the character's attributes on the life cycle of the Tribe.  At least, that's what jazzed me about the idea when I first read it. :)

Any Tribe goes through cycles.  Heck, if the Tribe were a retail sales outfit, there would be the Xmas season and the Inventory season, right? :)

To me, seasonal attributes:

1) Provide a tie between the character's attributes and the life pulse of the Tribe.

2) Emphasize the viability of the Tribe...there are certain activities and modes of conduct that must occur during each "season" to ensure that the Tribe continues and survives.

Ah, but what would be the connection between the seasons and a character in terms of system? Would a character be "stronger" in those seasons? Would an aforementioned retail sales character with Mental 7/Inventory be better at stocktaking than say, someone with Mental 7/Xmas Season?

I think I really need to find a solid tie between those seasons and how a character "works" in terms of system. Otherwise, they're dead wood. Very cool dead wood, but still dead wood.
James Knevitt