News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon 2002: Indie explosion

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, February 08, 2002, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon C. Landis

Sounds like the blurb in the program book should include a reference to the game.  E.g., "Players should be familiar with the Donjon Krawl rules available at http://www.acid-reflex.com/rpg/donjon/". And if they aren't - who really pays attention to the requirements in those blubs? - Clinton can just explain it to 'em.  Not a demo.

Paul could do the same with The World and get in the program book - or just do the demo-in-Ron's-booth thing.

You know, I really AM going to go to GenCon this year, and the thought fills me with an awkward glee . . .

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Michael S. Miller

Finally, something I can comment on.

Here's a synopsis of how this sort of thing actually played out at GenCon 2001, with the release of FVLMINIATA. I pre-registered to run 8 "normal" events. WotC scheduled them and gave them table space just like any other independent GM running any other RPG. Whether or not I gave out prizes was up to us (we did). I collected event tickets from the players at these games (and turned them in and got my badge price returned [I was not registered as an exhibitor, that was my partner]). At each game, I quite openly announced that FVLMINATA was available for sale at the Wizard's Attic booth in the exhibit hall and gave the booth number. An off-duty room marshall (or whatever the semi-official guys who tell you what game is at what table are called) even played in one of the games and didn't bat an eye when I mentioned this fact. From WotC's perspective, it's really no different from an non-game-designer GM saying "Company X has a cool new splatbook at their booth!"

My understanding of WotC policy is this: the only place money is allowed to change hands is in the exhibit hall, between exhibitors who have paid their exhibit fees. If you want to run an event that is advertised in the Pre-Reg book (even though the Pre-Reg book is only online this year, I highly recommend it) for which WotC provides "official" play space, then they get the players' event fees. I believe that what they mean by the word "demo" is an event that does not have an event fee attached to it--with the exception of "open gaming," which I'll get to in a minute. A demo costs WotC nothing (you have to handle advertising) and the only money they get is from someone probably renting larger booth-space.

As far as running open games, I have a feeling that this is what Clinton's "games in the hotel room" were, as the "official" open gaming space has been shrinking and getting harder and harder to find each year. I have seen companies run their demos in the open gaming area, while selling product in the exhibit hall.

I hope this has cleared some things up. (I also hoped I posted the darn thing correctly).
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Mike Holmes

Mike (oh no, not another one), is right.

The only way that you'd get jacked for playing a "demo" of your game would be if you were to hawk it right out there in the game room. I've played in jillions of events where people have mentioned that they are selling the game up in booth #whatever when it was done. All WotC wants to prevent is a company from using gaming tables as cheap floating booths to actually advertise and sell product from. The only occasion where I could see it possibly being a problem is if you were to be obnoxious about mentioning the game or something, in which case a player might complain or something. Still, never seen it happen, even in some rather blatant examples.

Instead of labeling it a demo, just use the tried and true, "beginners welcome" or "rules will be taught". In fact this used to be part of how entries in the programmes were listed, and is expected by the staff. Beware what you ask for, however. This is an invitation for kids to show up (although there are less kids every year).

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

xiombarg

Well, as a quick aside, I should think that Donjon Krawl is an ideal game for children to excercise their imagination, with a little GM guidance and help. In fact, I'd love to see someone try to do a "Pokemon Trainer" class in Donjon Krawl alongside a normal set of dungeoneering PCs. They could try and capture and train the monsters. ;-)
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT