News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Forge or Indie RPG Online Convention - Feedback Please

Started by GaryTP, December 14, 2004, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryTP

Looks like there is some interest in an online convention, but not a lot. I'll place this on hold for now and bring it up again in a few months. Having a big enough presence would be crucial to pulling it off.

Gary

daMoose_Neo

Have you shopped the idea around to other sites? Might also help in getting some backing as well, as the Forge isn't the only indie hangout.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Nathan P.

I'm interested, but I'll be more interested in a few months, as Timestream isn't going to be on the market until June. So here's my vote to bring it back up again down the road.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

Nathan

The idea has merit. I really don't have time to work on one again, though they are a blast. It seems like it would be somewhat easier to pull one off these days, with technical stuff handled easily (Paypal, etc.) and gaming news sites & communities at hand.

I think, if you do want to put one of these together, start small. Plan a few hours of "events/schedule". Do a Saturday Indie Con, 5-10 PM CST. Get four indie publishers on board. Schedule some chats/game demos. Line up a free gift or two. Then send out press releases.

The risk is significant if you plunk a lot of time, money, resources, and manpower into a full-scaled online con and it sinks. There simply might not be a crowd of gamers who want to spend a weekend online chatting with indie game publishers. But there might be. By starting small, you don't overload yourself, you build contacts & experience, and you begin generating buzz. Hell, it sounds like the same process a lot of indie publishers do when releasing their first games. And if it flunks, oh well, you aren't out much of anything.

Just my last suggestions...

Thanks,
Nathan
-------------------------------------------
http://www.mysticages.com/
Serving imagination since '99
Eldritch Ass Kicking:
http://www.eldritchasskicking.com/
-------------------------------------------