News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Albino Ratkin crunchy bits?

Started by Doyce, December 21, 2004, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyce

In the First impressions thread:
Quote from: Bob GoatI remember my impression to playtesting it.  I got the albino ratkin magician (Whitey) and as I was polishing him up with Keys, I just thought, "This is so fucking cool, my Keys have essentially created everything I will ever need to know about my character."

I was wondering about the albino ratkin.  Do they have any particular Secrets, Keys, or access to regional crunchy bits that normal ratkin don't?

In essence, what's different about them?  I went looking for crunchy bits about them and didn't really find anything.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Lxndr

When I asked Clinton about this at the convention (when I saw the one and only crunchy bit - albino ratkin have certain restrictions on their skills that regular ratkin don't have), he said that he'd purposefully left that vague, so it'd be up to each individual group to decide exactly what makes albino ratkin different.

I think it's kind of cool, m'self.  If you have any ideas on special albino Keys, or Secrets, feel free to throw them on the Wiki.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Keith Senkowski

Hey,

Clinton can correct me on this, but I don't think Whitey was using any special rules for being an Albino.  I do remember that I chose the Key of the Coward so I could yell out "Don't kill Whitey!" and run away in abject terror...

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Clinton R. Nixon

There's no special rules for them by default, but I can see a lot of Secrets specific to them coming from play. (By the way, I expect that in any full game of TSOY, half the Secrets used will be made up in play.)

Two off the top of my head:

Secret of the Snow Rat: You receive a bonus die to hide in ice and snow.

Secret of the Mysterious Red-Eyes: As an albino, you are regarded as mysterious to the horde, something not exactly of the tribe, yet touching another power. You can spend as many Instinct as you like to increase Success Levels with Orate Ability Checks.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Doyce

In all seriousness:

Secret of Nimh:  As an albino ratkin native to one of the great city ruins of Maldor, you have an innate knack for understanding complex mechnical devices -- something that is as much empathy as training. You can spend either Instinct or Reason for extra successes with any mechanically-oriented Craft ability.

(Hmm... should that be 'for extra successes' or 'for extra dice'?)
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonSecret of the Mysterious Red-Eyes: As an albino, you are regarded as mysterious to the horde, something not exactly of the tribe, yet touching another power. You can spend as many Instinct as you like to increase Success Levels with Orate Ability Checks.

Where the hell was this during the playtest you cheeky bastard?  This would of been plenty useful with Big Rat and Even Bigger Rat...

Top of your head my ass.  You had that juicey little nuget written down and kept it from me on purpose didn't you?

Secret of White Wyrd: Albino rat-kin are touched by unnatural powers which give them a special insight into the hearts of others.  You get a bonus die to your Discern Truth checks.

Keith

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel