News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Hidden Sex Keyword? [split off from NPC demands]

Started by Kerstin Schmidt, December 23, 2004, 12:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Holloway

James Holloway

James Holloway

Quote from: Mike HolmesI think that, for example, the Grazer limits on occupational keywords are, in fact, an important part of the keyword. I mean, it really says something about how they view the sexes by what they allow for occupations. I sense a very mid-twentieth century America level of sexism - women can be other than housewives, but they can only be teachers, nurses, etc.

All in all, again, Glorantha is a relatively egalitarian place. Yes, the Heortlings make the women warriors follow Vinga, but they're allowed. This is more advanced than the USA right now where women are just being allowed into combat units in limited roles. There are some places in Glorantha where women are definitely second-class, or worse, but they tend to be the exception it seems.

I think that this actually comes more from laziness than anything else, actually - people just don't want to work out how men and women differ in these cultures. But that works out just fine, IMO. Women get to play the fantasy of living in an actually egalitarian world.

Mike
Well, actually, I seem to have missed skills and I didn't think of cults because they aren't technically part of the Homeland keyword. So although Vingans exist, they have to buy their Spear and Shield Fighting separate from their Homeland keyword (although I suppose they could just take it as their [Melee Weapon] Fighting ability from their Warrior occupation keyword). In terms of cults, it occurs to me that Heortling men can't learn healing magic, because the only healer cult they can join is the unattractive Arroin subcult of Chalana Arroy (which is good if you want to hang around Humakti for the rest of your brief, magic-less life, I guess).

So Heortling society has its gender restrictions, though they're not as strict as Grazers or Dara Happans (although women can join Gerendetho and similar cults, it's clear that Dara Happans by custom view women as inferior -- which is one reason they go in for the Lunar religion). I think it's a good balance; there are clear gender roles which can make for drama, but at the same time there aren't too many character types which are completely off limits.

Ron Edwards

Hi everyone,

Definitely time to create daughter threads from this one, with very specific topics, and to let this one lapse.

Thanks,
Ron