News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dice

Started by Lxndr, January 02, 2005, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lxndr

How many 4 siders, 6 siders, 8 siders, and ten siders would you suggest I have if I wanted to supply a full group of (say) 4 + myself, out of my own dice supply.

I'm looking at the chessex "Pound of Dice", which gives about 100 dice a pack.  Would 2 be enough, or do you think I need more?
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Judd

1 pound should more than do it, I'd think if your players have a few dice of their own.

Lxndr

Right, but if they supply some of their own, it can all get mixed.  On the other hand, if I just dump dice into a big popcorn bowl, then at the end of each night, they can all get tossed back into selfsame bowl.

On the other hand, I already own a pound of dice already, although it's purchased over time for the needs of other games, and thus is almost all sixes and tens, with a dearth of fours and eights, both of which I want to see more of in the game (and, also, in preparation for, say, games of My Life With Master).

Perhaps I should phrase the question another way:

With 5 people (including a GM) simultaneously participating in a contest, and with the general idea that re-rolling dice that have already been used in a Raise or See is acceptable, how many 4s, 6s, 8s, and 10s would you bring to said table?

Lxndr

Well, I bought 2 lbs of dice (to get the free shipping) along with a dice bag for each of 'em.  We shall see whether or not they're enough.  Hopefully, if I'm lucky the dice will get here by this weekend, if not I'm sure we can work with mixed dice for a single weekend.

I'd still be interested in hearing how many dice (like, specific numbers) you might want to see on a table for d4s, d6s, d8s, and d10s, in this game.

Lxndr

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=12504

Here's the thread I somehow overlooked despite looking at all 5 pages of our thread. A quote or two from lumpley himself:

Quote from: lumpleyIn a bowl on the table you'll want a huge number of d6s, twenty or so, plus at least six each of d4s, d8s and d10s. Eight to ten each might be better. (As an individual player or GM bringing your own dice, you might want half of that - 10d6, 3d4, 3d8, 3d10 - plus a die or three to better fit your character, like if you happen to have lots of d8s on your character sheet for instance.)

Quote...what I did at GenCon - a Chessex mugful of dice, plus a dozen $0.15 d6s...

So it seems I definitely have enough, once they arrive, since I got twice what lumpley used at gencon.  Sorry for the triple post, but I wanted to point out what I dumbfoundedly missed the first few times I looked through all 5 pages...

Joshua A.C. Newman

Answering the question, obviously, is a little challenging. Believe it or not, it depends on the kind of character you like to play. I love fallout so I have lots of d4s on the table - the last couple of characters I've had get their strength from scraping through like a Clint Eastwood or Toshiro Mifune character. Maybe 10 o' them. A well-rounded, upstanding character, on the other hand, who gets his strength from talent or skill will want 8s and 10s, at least after a while. There will probably be fewer of them. And the d6 is the de regeur die.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.