News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

On creativity and artificial boundaries

Started by Black Iris Dancer, December 31, 2004, 07:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apparition13

Hi Ron,

Quote from: Ron Edwards

The catch is that many folks do state that the very outlook which you "can't imagine" is exactly why they role-play. So, you and I are forced to say, "Well, then, that's a really really different reason/approach for play than mine."

Hence it's a different Creative Agenda. And yeah, they're that different. Which leads me also to take another look at your thread title and suggest to you that we are not talking about artificial boundaries at all.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but my computer was down for awhile so I'm catching up.  Which folks whom Black Iris Dancer "can't imagine" are you refering to?  He used the phrase twice
QuoteI suppose I could see a player who just gets into the heads of vampires and gods and drug addicts for kicks, explores their psychological makeup and walks away unaffected. But he pretty much lives in philosophical thought-experiment land—I literally can't imagine having lunch with such a person.
and again
QuoteSimilarly, if my agenda as a player is to explore themes of (say) power, responsibility, and hatred, I can't imagine constructing a situation in which someone who cares about these things from an in-world, character-centric point of view is satisfied, but somebody who cares about these things from an out-of-game, personal point of view is disappointed.
Unless I'm hopelessly confused these seem to be refering to different experiences.
apparition13