News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Busy as a One-Legged Orc in an Elf-Kicking Contest

Started by Luke, January 13, 2005, 12:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Sorry this forum has been so dead, but I've been busy trying to get you guys some game to play!

I've posted a pdf of the revised Orc chapter from the new character burner. You can download it here.

Let me know what you think.
-L

Bill Cook

Wow. It looks like you've been busy. Hatred comes out more fully. Will you do the same with dwarven Greed?

(I'm ramping up my group's campaign. They want the fantasy races, so I've had to read those chapters. Yee gods, they're fascinated by elves!)

It looks like you're maintaining your standard of great art and crisp layout. The lifepath notes fit much better as a footer. If the rest of the book looks this good, I may just have to buy this "revised" edition:)

rafial

Luke

Hi Bill,

So, I'll tell you a secret... the reason why I chose to release Orcs first, as the teaser, is because they are the least of it!

Dwarven Greed and their Oaths and Grudges are better.

Elven Grief has been streamlined, and their songs reinforced and amplified. The Song of Farsight (now the Strain of Farsight) lets you see moments into the future....

And the Lifepaths of Man are just voluminous. Wait until you see the new Outcast section! Even better, Men have their own self-contained chapter like the other character stocks. So they have their own "special rules," skills and traits just like the Orcs, Elves and Dwarves.

I'm going to try to release a preview of the Duel of Wits next week, so you can see what the new Burning Wheel will be like.

This "revision" is more like a "this is what i REALLY meant". It's more Burning Wheel than Burning Wheel.
-L

Keith Senkowski

Luke, you are trying to write an RPG bible size aren't you?  I'm going to be able to actually harm people with the revised edition?  Instead of using them like throwing stars (like my current copies) I will have to use it like a club?

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Luke

Quote from: Bob GoatLuke, you are trying to write an RPG bible size aren't you?  I'm going to be able to actually harm people with the revised edition?  Instead of using them like throwing stars (like my current copies) I will have to use it like a club?

Keith

I don't know what you're talking about! After the Orcs there's only 89 pages of trait and skill descriptions and an index or two...

What?!

-L

rafial

BW - Power 2, Add 2, VA 0, Fast
BW Revised - Power 3, Add 2, VA 1, Slow (must use both hands)

Luke

Monbu Pow 2, Add 2, VA 1, Slow. Special Rule: Spirit Weapon, changes the way a player sees his game -- now everything's got scales.

Keith Senkowski

Am I going to have to get a new weapon skill to use it or does it fall under Hammer like the mace does...

Keith
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.

Luke

Quote from: Bob GoatAm I going to have to get a new weapon skill to use it or does it fall under Hammer like the mace does...

Keith

Ohhh, that's low. Dirty fightin', eh?

Well, you'll be happy to know that I combined all hand to hand weapon skills into one skill: Melee Weapons. All bows and stuff fall into Missile Weapons.

And I added these really cool mechanics for building settings and campaigns surrounding shadowy medieval organizations trying to take over the world.

-L

Keith Senkowski

Dirty pool old man!  Dirty Pool!  I like it!

I do dig it though.  I can't wait to see the fix to the whole Mace/Hammer fiasco.  That is just embaresssing.

You know what you should add to the revisions, is a group cell creation process too.  That would totally make the game rock...

Keith

Luke

Quote from: Bob GoatYou know what you should add to the revisions, is a group cell creation process too.  That would totally make the game rock...

Oh, you mean the Cirlces rules which allow you to develop friends, associates and contacts on the fly via an ability test in game. No problem, they're in there.

Or the completely fleshed out Affiliations and Reputations rules describe actual die mechanics for using a Cabal's influence in the game? In there.

Any other requests?

Eight ball, corner pocket? No problem.
-L

Keith Senkowski

If you are taking request a Grilled Cheese on Rye, just a little burnt and a pickle (polacks like pickles).

Oh and how about rules to deal with evil sanity draining demons.  I know you have the demons, but where is the awe?  

And I would also like more options beyond those already there for hesitation.

So could you get on that already?  Huh?

Keith

Luke

Quote from: Bob GoatIf you are taking request a Grilled Cheese on Rye, just a little burnt and a pickle (polacks like pickles).

Oh and how about rules to deal with evil sanity draining demons.  I know you have the demons, but where is the awe?  

And I would also like more options beyond those already there for hesitation.

So could you get on that already?  Huh?

Keith

I think the Steel rules embedded in the core mechanics cover said awe. I'm not a fan of sanity drain, though. So no coleslaw with your sammich.

Well, let's see. We've got tons of traits that give you special hesitation options. And we updated/added to the existing descriptions allowing a little more flexibility.

Demons have Aura of Fear already. But you could upgrade it to Horrific Aura, if you wanted. But that's in the Monster Burner.

::serves Keith sandwich neatly cut in two with sour dill on the side::
-L