News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Busy as a One-Legged Orc in an Elf-Kicking Contest

Started by Luke, January 13, 2005, 12:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor Olavsrud

Quote from: Bob GoatOh and how about rules to deal with evil sanity draining demons.  I know you have the demons, but where is the awe?  

They have the Lawbreaker Trait (so do seraphs, actually!): When a Daemon is near, all manner of weird phenomena transpire -- birds sing backward, clocks cease to tick, windows crack in strange patterns, water fails to boil, strange smells rise from nowhere, noises and knocks are hear in the dark, and so on. The effects extend 10X Presence for Gray shade Will (50 paces for a Daemon!) Oh, they also get Aura of Fear.

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: Thor OlavsrudThey have the Lawbreaker Trait (so do seraphs, actually!): When a Daemon is near, all manner of weird phenomena transpire -- birds sing backward, clocks cease to tick, windows crack in strange patterns, water fails to boil, strange smells rise from nowhere, noises and knocks are hear in the dark, and so on. The effects extend 10X Presence for Gray shade Will (50 paces for a Daemon!) Oh, they also get Aura of Fear.

No helping Thor.  I was fencing Luke and now you step in and hamstring my ass.

Quote from: abzuI think the Steel rules embedded in the core mechanics cover said awe. I'm not a fan of sanity drain, though. So no coleslaw with your sammich.

Well, let's see. We've got tons of traits that give you special hesitation options. And we updated/added to the existing descriptions allowing a little more flexibility.

Demons have Aura of Fear already. But you could upgrade it to Horrific Aura, if you wanted. But that's in the Monster Burner.

::serves Keith sandwich neatly cut in two with sour dill on the side::
-L

But seriously, we ran into this last game session.  We encountered a demon and felt some sort of awe/hesitation rule needs to be added when everyone starts talking backwards and it snows up from the ground.

Thank you for the sandwich.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Luke

Quote from: Bob Goat
But seriously, we ran into this last game session.  We encountered a demon and felt some sort of awe/hesitation rule needs to be added when everyone starts talking backwards and it snows up from the ground.

Thank you for the sandwich.

Keith

Did you all pass your Steel tests? With its Aura of Fear, there shoulda been some dice rollin...

Damn it, where's my actual play for this?!
-L

Keith Senkowski

Well this stuff started happening before we actually saw the bastard (the snowing backwards) and we as players paused and did the "What the fuck is this nonsense?" but there seems to be no mechanic (that I am aware of at least) to prompt a Steel test when shit gets weird.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

The Actual Play will go up on the Burning Midnight thread over at BWHQ once I get off my lazy ass and write up my part...

Keith
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.

Thor Olavsrud

er...I was demonstrating the use of Helping Dice. Yeah...that's the ticket.

But yeah, that's Aura of Fear. Anything that comes within 10 paces of that thing has to make a Steel test.

If you fail and want your character to go crazy as a result, start playing up the insanity. When the time for the trait vote comes, I'm sure your fellow players will be happy to vote in Batshit, or Crazy as a Loon, or Distaste for Fruit, or whatever.

Luke

Quote from: Bob GoatWell this stuff started happening before we actually saw the bastard (the snowing backwards) and we as players paused and did the "What the fuck is this nonsense?" but there seems to be no mechanic (that I am aware of at least) to prompt a Steel test when shit gets weird.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

nope, you're correct. Lawbreaker is just color, and it seems it had its intended effect.

You don't take the Steel test until you are within 10 paces of the sucker.

-L

Keith Senkowski

Helping dice my ass Thor.  Don't worry, you'll get yours.  You'll rue the day you answered my question and pointed out I was wrong.  Oh yes!  Rue!  Rue!

Not to be a pain in the... well actually to be a pain in the ass I have to point out that ten paces is dumb.  If I see the fucking snow going back into the sky and everything coming out of my mouth comes out backwards, I should just shrug my shoulders and not freak out until I am 10 paces from that asshole.  I think Lawbreaker, which fucks everything up, should have an in game effect.  I mean we roleplayed some hesitation, but there is a big difference between that and standing and drooling as the bastards undead horde comes running out the building...

Just trying very hard to be right...
Keith

Thor Olavsrud

Quote from: Bob GoatNot to be a pain in the... well actually to be a pain in the ass I have to point out that ten paces is dumb.  If I see the fucking snow going back into the sky and everything coming out of my mouth comes out backwards, I should just shrug my shoulders and not freak out until I am 10 paces from that asshole.  I think Lawbreaker, which fucks everything up, should have an in game effect.  I mean we roleplayed some hesitation, but there is a big difference between that and standing and drooling as the bastards undead horde comes running out the building...

Fair enough. Give them a special Daemonic Aura of Fear instead (you can burn it up with your MonBu!) which extendes 10X Presence to 50 paces, same as Lawbreaker!

Luke

Quote from: Bob GoatNot to be a pain in the... well actually to be a pain in the ass I have to point out that ten paces is dumb.  If I see the fucking snow going back into the sky and everything coming out of my mouth comes out backwards, I should just shrug my shoulders and not freak out until I am 10 paces from that asshole.  

Well, I'm not going to argue with you about what a demon does or doesn't do. But as I said above, it seems the trait combo worked.

Initially, the color causes the players to hesitate, then at the moment of truth, the trait causes the characters to hesitate.

sounds good to me, but your mileage may vary. Perhaps next time you'd prefer to face a Greater Dæmon? No problem, I'll tell Wuxing. Don't get up.
;)
-L

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: abzusounds good to me, but your mileage may vary. Perhaps next time you'd prefer to face a Greater Dæmon? No problem, I'll tell Wuxing. Don't get up.
;)
-L

Yeah, cause that's a good idea.  I mean we so handed him his ass... ;)

Keith

Luke

I was just reading through the Monster Burner and I happened to notice the Great Spider lifepath trait, Mad. Instead of the usual Steel reactions, you rave and rant for your hesitation.

If you wanted to buy that for your characters, it'd be a 2 pt trait. (it just futzes with the existing mechanic, but doesn't change too much).

anyway...

-L

slowdin

ha!!  bob goat is funny.