News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dime-Store Katana's

Started by Judd, January 31, 2005, 01:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anonymouse

I actually like the bad grammar, Nate; "Katana's" just enhances the whole cheapy loser atmosphere.
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

Judd

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Judd,

For some thought-provoking, and maybe a neat contrast or comparison, check out Sorcerer ponderings.

Best,
Ron

So, how does one get a hold of Violence Future?

A dice pool mechanic is rattling around in my head.  Exploding four-siders as a way of showing violence spinning out of control, shared narration mechanics for showing how out of touch with reality the PC's are and such.  I will get some writing done in the next few weeks, once I get more down on other more pressing projects.

sirogit

There's an episode of Home Movies(A cancelled Adult Swim cartoon) called The Wizard's Baker that's perfect for this, wherin the sleazy soccor coach buys a bunch of replica swords from late night tv.

"I'm trying to get rid of them. No one wants Swords, Brendon."
"Why did you buy them then coach?"
"Because I'm a lonely man."

Because of that, I'd be greatly intereasted in running this.

tj333

Something that I think would be neat for this game would be a stat that increases based on the number of problems they solve with violence. Let's call this stat Limit for convenience here.

Limit would do three things
    1. Makes solving problems without violence harder until its lowered.
    2. Make solving problems with violence easier.
    3. When Limit reaches a certain level, perhaps the katana's Make, the katana breaks and the whole thing come tumbling down. Stuck with the penalties but cannot apply the bonus until he gets a new katana. Perhaps have Limit clear or at least lowered when he gets the new katana? Or just let him keep going and not break the katana this way agin.

Perhaps if he solves a problem without using violence or doing a certain action (A bit of good left in him despite everything else.) he lowers his Limit and can prolong the life of his katana but that might take away from the violence as the solution idea to the game.

I think this could fit into your game well since it give a mechanic for causing them to resort to violence ever faster in situations leading the end of their downward spiral that brought them to this point.