News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Elfs Question

Started by jburneko, January 17, 2005, 02:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jburneko

Hello,

My group requested that we play Elfs.  So, I reread the rules and amazingly I only have one question.  Regarding Magic Items.  It says that one becomes available every hour.  Is that one per hour period or one per hour per player.

Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should set up a timer that goes off every hour to remind everyone that they can look for a magic item if they want or is it the player's responsibility to watch the clock and be the first to jump on it?

Jesse

Ron Edwards

Hi Jesse!

I'd intended to mean one real hour, among the real people. However, feel free to mess with that even more ... in convention play, for demonstration purposes, we actually eliminated any limits about timing magic items. So when someone got a magic item (hoser, or "normal" or good), he or she just wrote down another one and could roll for it as soon as desired.

Considering that the majority turn out to be normal items or hosers anyway, upping the rate (or removing any attempt to regulate rate) turned out to be OK. In fact, given the predictably high magical backfires occuring from spell-use, the increased rate of hosers introduced a terrifying amount of fun chaos into things.

I'm really looking forward to reading about your game. Elfs is, um ... well, it's Elfs.

Best,
Ron

Eero Tuovinen

I think Jesse meant to ask between
a) one magic item per the whole party per hour
and
b) one magic item per player per hour.

It's a given that the hour doesn't mean an in-game hour, isn't it?

Anyway, I understood the limit to be for the whole party, but I've not played the game yet...
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Ron Edwards

Oops. Per player, is the answer. Not per the whole group.

Best,
Ron

jburneko

Eero, had it right.  I understood the "real time" aspect of it.  I just wondered if I should draw attention to the real time passage or if it was meant to be a "I got to it first" race among the players.  Since it's per player I will probably set up an actual timer.

For the recond what I'm preping is an Elfified version of the original Ravenloft (I6?) module.  It is turning out to be disgustingly easy.  I highly suspect that the players will end up spending more time in Barovia than in Strahd's
Castle since the situation there is now so fucked up I'm sure it will draw attention.  The module actually divides very similarly to the provided Ice and Fire adventure with a social situation on the outside and silly dungeon-crawly sitution on the inside with references to each other.

Jesse

Ron Edwards

Hee hee! I can't wait. I'm sure you've checked out Elfs stuff in Actual Play, but if not, make sure to see my comments about using module material, in my threads.

Best,
Ron