News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Torn] First Steps

Started by xenopulse, January 25, 2005, 11:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky Fanboy

Whew! Thank Gods I didn't come across as trying to hijack the game. I always dread that. Especially when it's a game that's travelling down avenues I've been privately stewing on...

You've definitely got some good ideas for the basics of what you're looking for. Only question: You mentioned in your first post that sometimes the magic can actually be beneficial (secret door in a dark room triggered by fear, I believe.) One way you could do that is if a red Ace is drawn attempting to counter your inner darkness lashing out. I'd like to see that happen every now and then, just to make the Malevolence seem unpredictable and insane as well as evil.

If it was me, I'd let the source of the darkness be a mystery that the group can play with as they see fit. As for those who give in (the evil-emotion anal-expulsive types), they seem like an excellent addition. After all, some players might want to play that type of character. That's why I postulated separate mechanics for Control (harnessing the evil to diabolical ends) vs. Virtues (throttling the urge to lash out.) That way, the character had a choice: either prevent the darkness from coming out, or attempting to harness it away from friends and loved ones to where it was "supposed" to go, to the people who "deserved" it. ("B*tch had it coming!") Of course, the Guilt for trying to steer it would be significantly higher...

See, what I think is really evil-cool about this game is that, let's face it, sometimes negative emotions are the only correct response, or at least the only type of response that can be reasonably expected. With the PCs, they have all the same emotional baggage that everyone else has, but turning it loose has a direct, mostly negative effect on them and the surrounding world. Or at least that's what I'm reading so far. If I'm reading what's not there, let me know.

Another thing: since this game is being made to address a Premise, I think you might want to consider a rule allowing a character to gain an "Ace up their sleeve", by opting not to use the high card they drew in a Virtue draw, thus probably getting clobbered in that particular draw, but they get to keep the card to add to a draw for later, when a more important situation for the character comes up. (I stole that from Deadlands; I think it would work well here.)

Just had a thought (sorry! Your game, but damn it's inspiring me!): It just seems that there's two general ways that a person could respond to realizing that they could twist reality, albeit negatively. First, they could attempt to throttle it and find a cure. (The Light Side) Second, they could try to find a way to harness it for their own ends. (Dark Side). If you want to have Manifestations in your game, then let that be the risk for those who've let their Guilt pile up without doing anything about it. They ignore the warning of their Guilt, abuse their "gift", and end up possibly losing their humanity. Hell you may even want to borrow a bit from Vesperteen to get an idea which unchecked Vice turns the characters into what type of monster. Or let the players pick a suitable inhuman form, but provide examples. The theme that humans are the origin of their own worst fears seems to fit this game excellently.

Anyway, I really like what you've got so far. If you can use anything I've thrown out here, please do. I'm sad now that I never wrote the game, but OTOH I tend to be lazy and pressed for time, so if someone else can make a game I've always wanted to play, that's great, too! ;-)
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

xenopulse

Spooky,

Thanks for the added thoughts. I am currently writing up a first draft of the rules to see where I'm at. I'll post a link when I'm done.

Here are some comments in the meantime:

QuoteWith the PCs, they have all the same emotional baggage that everyone else has, but turning it loose has a direct, mostly negative effect on them and the surrounding world.

That's the idea. I am thinking that this game will be a larger metaphor for how we let our negative emotions take control over us and wreak havoc.

QuoteI'd like to see that happen every now and then, just to make the Malevolence seem unpredictable and insane as well as evil.

I agree. I'll work on the specifics. There is a whole difficult mechanics point here on the issue of who-what is affected how. In a related vein:

Quoteeither prevent the darkness from coming out, or attempting to harness it away from friends and loved ones to where it was "supposed" to go, to the people who "deserved" it.

I am currently thinking that, if Channeled on purpose, you get to direct, but must direct all cards. In case of Triggered against one's will, relations and virtue can suppress the powers.

QuoteI think you might want to consider a rule allowing a character to gain an "Ace up their sleeve", by opting not to use the high card they drew in a Virtue draw

I believe the relationship-granted cards are somewhat playing this role... and granting bonus cards when it's about someone they care about. But I'll think on this.

Quoteyou want to have Manifestations in your game, then let that be the risk for those who've let their Guilt pile up without doing anything about it.

I was going to make Manifestations sort-of like shadow men created by the PCs (see Twilight Zone, "The Shadow Man," 1985). But maybe they'll end up in a similarly bad way--or possibly consmed by the dark energy itself.

Thanks again.