News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Monica the Sorcerer -- Wapsi Square

Started by ejh, January 24, 2005, 12:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejh

I've recently become a big fan of the webcomic "Wapsi Square" http://www.wapsisquare.com/.  It's a drama series (with a nod towards daily punchlines, but it's really more story than funny) about several postcollegiate friends living in the Twin Cities.  Most of it is realistic soap opera stuff.

But one of the friends happens to be a Sorcerer, in Ron's sense.  That is, she has a spiritual entity (Tepoztecal, Aztec god of alcohol) that hangs around and protects her.  He is about a foot tall (the size of the statue that she awoke him from).  He is bound to stay with her because she freed him, and he lives in her house with her dog.  She doesn't really want him around but she doesn't know how to get rid of him.  He can control/conjure anything with alcohol in it.

We've recently found out that she learned an unknown language, "older than the Olmecs," from her Abuela back in Mexico, whom she visited from age 4 to 13.

We've more recently found out that when she told her parents about her visits to her Abuela, they freaked out because she had died before Monica was born.  And Monica spent some time institutionalized involuntarily in her adolescence.

A few weeks ago there was an interesting sequence where Tezpotecal inadvertently summoned up an ancient guardian chimera in the form of three drunk college girls (the three heads of the chimera), and the chimera, alternatingly dread and terrifying and goofy and giggly, was very dangerous but was forced to respect Monica because of what she was -- a "Glyph Reader," whatever that is.

More recently, while Tezpotecal was trying to talk to Monica about her anxiety and stress, Something was summoned up from Monica's past, which was the reason she was institutionalized in the first place.  That Something kicked Tezpotecal's ass, and tried to kill Monica.  And Monica, after a very tense sequence, fought back.

Today's strip -- http://www.wapsisquare.com/d/20050124.html -- is a great picture of Monica Punishing that demon.

That's about all the Sorcery we've seen so far in several years worth of the comic, but I thought it was pretty cool and worth checking out for Sorcerer fans.

Downside: the comic's hosting is SUPER SLOW so it's really painful trying to read back through all the comics.  I wrote a script to do a batch download and read them at my leisure.

Ron Edwards

Damn good call, Ed! That's a link for the website.

Best,
Ron