News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bonus Dice for Defense

Started by Eric J-D, January 24, 2005, 09:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric J-D

I know that Ron says he loves questions about Sorcerer combat, so here goes:

Page 105 of Sorcerer describes a combat involving Brandon, Fragg and some thugs.  In the text of the example, Thug A (who is attacking Brandon) rolls high with three 10s, beating Brandon's high of two 9s.  Brandon decides to abort, and the text reads "the player's performance is so wonderful the GM grants a big 2-die bonus."

Now, I interpret that to mean that Brandon's player offered up some nice description of the defensive action and perhaps capped it all with a smart quip, earning the player that bonus.  Is this correct?

If so, this suggests to me that a player could earn bonus dice at the initial declaration of actions phase (i.e. at the point at which Stamina is used to determine intiative etc.) provided that (s)he did some good roleplaying, and that the same player might again earn bonus dice if (s)he choses to abort an action but describes the defensive action in a way that adds to the enjoyment of the scene.

Is that right?  That seems to be what the text is suggesting on page 105.   Any help you all could give me on this one would be appreciated.

Eric

Ron Edwards

Correct on all counts, Eric. Bonus dice are granted whenever something is announced, which includes both during "free and clear" and during the "whoops, forget it, I dodge" option.

I believe I clarified some important aspects of this issue in a previous thread. Lemme check.

Best,
Ron

Ron Edwards

Found it! Bonus on 1-die defense

Careful, it's actually sort of a confusing exchange, but the straight dope does manage to get injected eventually.

Best,
Ron