News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The 'favorites' section, tags, and the future

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, February 18, 2005, 04:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordSmerf

Oh, one quick thing.  It's probably a good idea to standardize what we use in place of spaces.  You mention using periods (".") in this thread, but you have underscores "_" in the example.  In order to make the algorithm associate tags do we need to all use the same thing?  Or will it automatically equate "." with "_"?

I ask because I've been using "_" and I've noticed some of the others under "All Favorites" using "."

Thomas
Current projects: Caper, Trust and Betrayal, The Suburban Crucible

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: LordSmerf
Question: Is there/will there be a way to look at all the tags assigned to a thread?  Can I read a thread and say "Gee, that was interesting, what do other people consider interesting about this, and where do they draw connections?"

Thomas

Hey - good idea. It's gone on my to-do list for the project.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

ffilz

From a quick read, I think this is something I've been suggesting needing to be done for over 5 years.

I originally thought about doing something like this when I was getting frustrated with pages of links to LEGO fan web sites. I wanted to see some kind of setup where users could constantly "vote" on the relevance of particular sites to particular search keywords.

Cool! I'll have to start checking it out.

Frank
Frank Filz

Bill Cook

I've been able to see other members' favorites by clicking on All Favorites. How do I make my own?

The thread titles dominate. I expected to see them sub-listed under keyword entries, which I also expected to be alphabetical. Kind of like an index of everyone's searches. But it's all new to me.

[EDIT: Just re-read this. Not meaning to sound critical. I'm also excited about the potential of this feature.]

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: LordSmerfOh, one quick thing.  It's probably a good idea to standardize what we use in place of spaces.  You mention using periods (".") in this thread, but you have underscores "_" in the example.  In order to make the algorithm associate tags do we need to all use the same thing?  Or will it automatically equate "." with "_"?

Standardization is the enemy. That said, I'll probably end up equating '.' and '_'.

Quote from: bcook1971I've been able to see other members' favorites by clicking on All Favorites. How do I make my own?

The thread titles dominate. I expected to see them sub-listed under keyword entries, which I also expected to be alphabetical. Kind of like an index of everyone's searches. But it's all new to me.

To make your own favorite, click 'add to favorites' at the bottom of any thread topic. I should make this more prominent.

The 'favorites' page is almost a weird side-effect. It is a new place to look  and see what is popular reading.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games