News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer and Sword offer insight to "long forgotten wis

Started by Prince of Thieves, February 14, 2005, 04:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince of Thieves

Hiya everyone, I'm a new fan/GM of Sorcerer but I've been on the forge lurking in the Riddle of Steel section for a while. :)

I recently purchased Sorcerer + its 3 supplements and after the main book and supplement one (Sorcerer and Sword) it hit me like a freight-train what the game is meant to be and gave me language to apply to the concepts that have kept me role playing for 17 plus years.

When I was a whippersnapper with my hands on a partial rule book for "Empire of the Petal Throne" some modified game notes and box of card-board dungeon pieces. A couple of friends and I would wile away the hours in solo adventures, which was really little more then us enjoying a trusting game of "Lets pretend" with these rules. No scenarios, no modus operandi, except to entertain ourselves with what new and exciting things can happen to this hero now. Perhaps it was because I was timid or just a kindness toward my friends but it was never about killing the character or crushing them with the next tough monster. It was about telling a fun story rather then humiliating my play partner. I was maybe only ten or eleven at the time but those were great times and plenty of innocent fun. And it's been that sort of fun and experience I've been chasing via role playing into my adult life with notably mixed results.

Anyhow I'll likely be sharing some stuff from a recently started Sorcerer and Sword game my friends and I got going but until then I just wanted to say hi to everyone and offer my thanks and admiration to Ron Edwards for sharing his RP/gaming insights! I think my gaming will never be the same, Sorcerer or not I'm going to be applying the wonderful insights about narrative gaming to my other favorites.
Ironic humor dragged down all the twilight minarets he reared, and the earthy fear of improbability blasted all of the delicate and amazing flowers in his feary gardens.
-H.P. Lovecraft, The Silver Key

Ron Edwards

Yay!

And welcome. I'm sure you see why Jake Norwood and I became really good friends so quickly.

Best,
Ron