News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dog in the Vineyard

Started by Vaxalon, February 15, 2005, 12:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

Has anyone ever played Dogs 1-1?  How does it work for solo play?
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Judd

I'd go all Roland of Gilead on their ass.

I've thought about this a bit.  I'd talk about how the Dogs' Temple is empty and few members of the congregation are taking up the calling anymore.  Some towns have no women who remember how to quilt the coats.

The teachers would talk about the power of three and how it is almost impossible to draw upon nowadays.

They'd venture out alone into the vineyard, unsure if there are any Dogs out there anymore.

It'd be Dogs in the End Times...

Joshua A.C. Newman

Quote from: PakaI'd go all Roland of Gilead on their ass.

It'd be Dogs in the End Times...

This is splantastic. I can even see this with larger groups. It's a nifty setting.

The Demons are winning, the people are making idols, all sortsa goodies.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Lance D. Allen

If I did a Dog in the Vineyard thing, I'd probably draw heavily from Terry Brooks' Knight of the Word series.

Some dark stuff there, and abso-perfect for DitV.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

TonyLB

Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Judd

Ideas:

- Bridal Falls is a ghost town ever since the plague hit some years ago.

- A tattered Dog's coat hung on a scarecrow.

- As the Dog leaves, a teacher ordains them to deputize folk and to train new Dogs in the Vineyard, an unprecedented power.

- Part of the Dog's mission is to seek out another Dog and send them back to Bridal Falls to speak to the Elders.

- A Yojimbo based town in which the town-folk have divided over the last Dog's decisions, made decades ago.  The idol worshippers and the False Prophets are at open war in the streets as the Dog rides in.

I am thinkin' that this would be fun.

TonyLB

The one I'd love to see is the town where most of the people no longer respect the authority of the Dogs at all... but they're kindly folk, ready to take in a deluded stranger and mend his clothes.  

Add to that mix a prideful nutcase of a power-hungry Steward who sees the arrival of the Dogs as his chance to retake the souls of the town for him... err, I mean for the King's Word, of course... and I think you'd have a nice setup to really test how the Dogs feel about their own role.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Judd

I am digging this idea more and more.  Might write up a few End Times towns.  Is there a good Mormon term for the end of the world that we could Dog-i-fy and make our own?

I am also thinking that if you started the game solo and wanted to take on more gamers you could either:

- have the single Dog meet another  

or...more interesting I think is

- have the new PC's accomplishment be based around something the original Dog witness that impressed 'em enough to deputize 'em as a Watchdog.